VOGONS

First post, by Dragonslayer182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to install the drivers for my SB Audigy 2 ZS, but I keep running into problems in windows 98. The default installer doesn't even detect the card, and the "hidden" installer in the d:\audio\drivers folder hangs near the end of installing the drivers. I've tried both audigy 2 zs install discs from the driver archive. The web installer doesn't detect the card either. I've made sure that it's fully seated in it's PCI slot, and that it's the only card in there. What is going on, and how can I get these drivers installed?

I've taken a pic of how far it's gotten and what it's managed to install before hanging: (Sorry about the huge size, I can't remember how to limit it)
u1H8SUK.jpg

Discord: Dragonslayer182#8984

Reply 1 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Creative drivers are pretty bad round this time, its a pretty common problem.
You can try different PCI slots, or reinstall windows with the card removed and go again.

Although most the time device manager wont see anything what are the other missing drivers? maybe you do have a conflict?

Reply 2 of 12, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you install the chipset drivers first?
There's a fair few unknown devices there.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 3 of 12, by Dragonslayer182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

You can try different PCI slots, or reinstall windows with the card removed and go again.

Although most the time device manager wont see anything what are the other missing drivers? maybe you do have a conflict?

BushLin wrote:

I just installed the chipset drivers and tried using the first PCI slot, but neither worked. I really hope I don't have to reinstall windows. Could there be a conflict between the onboard audio and the SB Audigy 2 ZS, and is there a way to resolve it? Onboard audio doesn't have drivers installed.

Reply 4 of 12, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dragonslayer182 wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

BushLin wrote:

I just installed the chipset drivers and tried using the first PCI slot, but neither worked. I really hope I don't have to reinstall windows. Could there be a conflict between the onboard audio and the SB Audigy 2 ZS, and is there a way to resolve it? Onboard audio doesn't have drivers installed.

Why not disable onboard audio in the bios?

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 5 of 12, by Dragonslayer182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kalm_traveler wrote:
Dragonslayer182 wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

BushLin wrote:

Why not disable onboard audio in the bios?

Just tried that, still no dice... The only change is that the "PCI Multimedia Audio Device" unknown device isn't listed anymore.

Reply 6 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. What is the model number on the Audigy 2 ZS card
2. Do you have another computer you can try it in?

If it isn't even showing up an an unknown device in Windows before you install the drivers, there is no way that the card is going to work. The computer must detect it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 12, by Dragonslayer182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

1. What is the model number on the Audigy 2 ZS card
2. Do you have another computer you can try it in?

If it isn't even showing up an an unknown device in Windows before you install the drivers, there is no way that the card is going to work. The computer must detect it.

It's an SB0350, and I just tried it in an XP computer with similar results. Only difference is that this time, the hidden installer finished installing without crashing, though it shows up as a "Soundblaster Audigy [1000]", and no sound comes out when I test it. Both computers see that there's some kind of sound card in the PCI slot, but creative's software isn't picking it up.

Reply 8 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Kinda sounds like a faulty card to me. I had that happen to a Live! and an Audigy 1 back in the day.

One other thought. Have you tried cleaning the edge connector with a pencil eraser yet? Could be that there is just some oxidation or dirt on the connector that is causing it to not work.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could it be an OEM card? I think the model numbers on the cards are the same. Creative's driver installers frequently wouldn't detect an OEM card. You need to get drivers from the system manufacturer.

With Windows XP and later you could try the Daniel K Audigy Support Pack. It will detect all Audigy cards.

Reply 10 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Could it be an OEM card? I think the model numbers on the cards are the same. Creative's driver installers frequently wouldn't detect an OEM card. You need to get drivers from the system manufacturer.

With Windows XP and later you could try the Daniel K Audigy Support Pack. It will detect all Audigy cards.

And supposedly not have EAX support.

You should be able to see what the card ID shows up as in the device manager and then look in the .inf file for the drivers to make sure that it is in there.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 12, by Dragonslayer182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I just compared the device ID's. This card is 0004 (I think), and it's not listed in setup's INI file. I thought OEM cards had the normal colored connectors, but mine is completely gold and black. Is there any way to get this working in Win98se with EAX support?

Also, if you're wondering why it's got the correct name now: I'm testing this in my potential windows XP build to make sure it's not just windows 98, which has a couple of issues that need to be fixed before I turn it into a gaming pc (Nothing functional, just needs a new case and a quieter fan that doesn't blow as much air as a leafblower). I used a newer driver installer and it actually installed and detects my card as the right thing now... except that no sound comes out. At all. The digital out seems to make a little bit of sound when I plug it into that though, and I've also checked to make sure it's not muted or disabled or anything.

zIRYfmg.png

KjHFDBG.png

EDIT: I just realized that the "ID's" are language id's, not hardware ID's. I'm a moron. Does anyone know where to find the RIGHT .inf file in the disc's contents?