VOGONS

First post, by GoXoD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all I am working on a gus 2.4 I had to replace a lot of parts and I made the mistake of not marking some capacitors.
Does any one have a schematic or listing of the values of there capacitors?

I have included a picture everything from voltage regulator to the end of the card I did not mark down,
Ss well as the main electrolytic's near the gameport.
https://imgur.com/EuXKufc.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone.

Reply 1 of 7, by GoXoD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I got lucky on the electrolytic caps I found a txt doc I made before ordering it had all values. I would be willing to share for all if people need it.

But I still dont have any values for the Ceramic capacitors.

Thanks guys.

Reply 2 of 7, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Love to help but unfortunately I have a rev 3.4. I see similarities but also great differences. I'm also a total noob when it comes to electronics, but, if there is anything of interest on my board that you want the details of, let me know.

My Gravis Ultrasound and 16 bit daughter board

Reply 3 of 7, by GoXoD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the reply,
ya great differences indeed, they took all the logic chips and made that gf101 chip I bet.
All of the parts i had questions about are in the locations that you don't have on your model.

I think I know where all the parts go, but I would still love to double check before i start it up.

Btw amazing add on board!

Reply 4 of 7, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GoXoD wrote:

Btw amazing add on board!

Yeah, it's probably the coolest and, at the same time, the most useless item I have in my collection. 😀

PS: Good luck with he repairs, let us know if the board works...

Reply 5 of 7, by GoXoD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I did some deductive logic and took a shot, the card is detected in dos through the setup program!!

But when I try and fill all banks with memory it locks up the memory check. if I only fill 3/4 it detects all 768kb ram.
I can get the irq tests to pass, but the dma test always fails. i have tried every one listed, checked bios and all the settings look good, but it still fails.

when I set the card up with sb emulation and load doom 2, it makes noise but its loud and repetitive and does not sound correct.

Reply 6 of 7, by JimJim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
UP2.jpg
Filename
UP2.jpg
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
GoXoD wrote:
So I did some deductive logic and took a shot, the card is detected in dos through the setup program!! […]
Show full quote

So I did some deductive logic and took a shot, the card is detected in dos through the setup program!!

But when I try and fill all banks with memory it locks up the memory check. if I only fill 3/4 it detects all 768kb ram.
I can get the irq tests to pass, but the dma test always fails. i have tried every one listed, checked bios and all the settings look good, but it still fails.

when I set the card up with sb emulation and load doom 2, it makes noise but its loud and repetitive and does not sound correct.

Have you tried it in another MotherBoard? I have a Card just like yours, but the Five Volt Line got shorted and blew the trace off the card. I patched that Broken Trace, but I haven't tested the card because it's very likely I would make it worse. I'm assuming one of the Logic Chips has shorted. I'm not sure how to test that with out desoldering them one by one. Do you have any tips to check for shorts on the logic chips like that? I can desolder them, but I just haven't found the time to do that yet.

UpT74s2.jpg
Filename
UpT74s2.jpg
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 7 of 7, by JimJim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GUS_Classic_2.4.jpg
Filename
GUS_Classic_2.4.jpg
File size
1.06 MiB
Views
File license
GoXoD wrote:

Well I got lucky on the electrolytic caps I found a txt doc I made before ordering it had all values. I would be willing to share for all if people need it.

But I still dont have any values for the Ceramic capacitors.

Thanks guys.

GravisGUS2point4filled.jpg
Filename
GravisGUS2point4filled.jpg
File size
510.55 KiB
Views
File license

Here's a few more pictures I've had for the 2.4 ... Not mine though. Let me know if you need another angle. Someday I'd like to make mine functional again. Apparently it was used in some Game Development. Years and Years ago.