VOGONS

First post, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Didn't notice this right away but was wondering why Doom sounds are panned weird. Then I ran Duke3D setup.exe SB Pro stereo test and unfortunately this test confirms that SB Pro emulation reverses channels with this card. My Aureal Vortex AU8810A1 PCI sound card plays SB Pro correctly. Tested also with Doom and Duke3D. With YMF in Windows if I for example play wav file, channels are correct. OPL3 with AT2 under DOS plays stereo correctly. Line-in isn't reversed either. Reversed stereo test for MPU-401 port is yet untested.

Anyone else have this problem with their YMF7x4 cards? If there is no fix to this then I will buy a YMF7x4 card that doesn't have this problem if those do exist. Already asked one seller that sells YMF744 sound cards and that seller tested SB Pro stereo with Duke3D and reported to have stereo reversed with that card as well. I checked Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide from Vogons but nobody said anything about reversed stereo with SB Pro emulation mode so I decided make a topic about it.
I haven't found any YMF mixer option for reversing stereo. Any tool exist to reverse stereo just for SB Pro in DOS?

Is my card bad or are all the YMF7x4 cards like this? Any specific YMF7x4 card known to have SB Pro Stereo correct or any card that has stereo reversed in every situation? The latter would be simple to fix by reversing the left/right cable connection.

I really hope this is not a common feature of YMF7x4 sound cards. I find it very odd to not have found anything related to "SB Pro stereo reversed" from Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide (Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide)

AT2 & other music made by me + miscellaneous stuff
Comics made by me

Reply 1 of 4, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just checked MPU-401 port of YMF724, compared it with MPU-401 of AU8810 sound card and also tested more modern computer's DOSBox 0.74 general midi with software synths and tested soft synths from native DOS Doom2 using MPU-401 and going with usb-midi to newer computer and my conclusion is that MPU-401 seems to be just fine. Only SB Pro emulation remains reversed. That's very annoying and I hope there is some other solution than reversing audio cables since reversing cables would affect everything and thus is not considered a complete fix. Also not all games have reverse stereo option. Is there any way to do reverse stereo with games like Doom, Doom2 and Wolf3D for example?

Also XG midi hardware assisted software synth with YMF724 stereo is correct - not reversed. Playing for example Doom2 from Windows using general midi (Yamaha XG midi in Windows 98SE) and reversing audio cables would make sound effects correct but would reverse channels from music.

Comics made by me

Reply 2 of 4, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have to add that Wolf3D doesn't have reversed stereo with this card. I also noticed that Magic Engine (DOS version 0.91 - TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine emulator) only reverses stereo sometimes and this is determined at the beginning of running the emulator. Stereo panning stays after the beginning and won't be changed if you don't exit the emulator and return to DOS.

Comics made by me

Reply 4 of 4, by static-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm having this issue as well, Left and Right channels are reversed in games like Blood and Doom. I have an AOPEN AW744L II - Yamaha XG OPL3 PCI.

I'm using dsdma right now, and have not yet tried SB Link.

I tried the Windows drivers, as well as using Phil's yamaha_ymf744_dos_drivers_with_dsdma.exe_and_ymfirq.exe.zip from https://www.philscomputerlab.com/yamaha-ymf74 … sound-card.html

Blood, SB16, normal
Blood, SBPro, reversed
Doom, SB, reversed (no SB16 option)
Hexen, SB, reversed (no SB16 option)
Wolf3D, SB, normal