VOGONS

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a couple of ISA sound cards here, mid-to-early 90's era, that look physically excellent (one is NOS) but which don't work 100%. Both produce FM fine from both channels, but one will only produce a digital voice form the left channel and the other can only muster a barely audible digital voice from either channel. These are creative / ESS cards that I know well so I'm confident I'm setting them up correctly - I've tried them in different machines and different slots in each machine and cleaned all of the relevant contacts multiple times. No change. And they both behave the same regardless of whether I use the line out or speaker out jack.

I don't want to just toss them - is it possible that new caps are in order?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Capacitors can and do go bad and what you describe definitely sounds like they're at fault.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Grab your multimeter and start to diagram out the signal path. Also, what chipsets are we dealing with? ES1688 based cards and later integrate FM with the PCM DAC, so there's no accessible discrete analog path for both FM and PCM sources. Non Vibra, non AWE64 cards generally have a discrete mixer chip that takes in both PCM and FM analog audio, so there's more room for repairable faults.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm... I don't like the sounds of that. The Vibra chips integrate bus controller, DSP, codec, and mixer. I don't see an option for the PCM signal path being broken external to the CT250x chip. ES688 I don't know as well, but I suspect it might be the same. However, because it has a datasheet, you can look at all the control pins and see if there's a possibility for channel muting caused by one of those.

As a precautionary measure, it won't hurt to check the voltage rails on the card, but it's best to do so with an oscilloscope in case there's an issue with ripple.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This conversation is drifting outside my level of understanding but that's OK, if a capacitor refresh doesn't fix 'em then neither are classic cards and can go to hardware heaven. The Vibra is defs an odd one because the software mixer knows there's an issue and insists on setting the balance all the way to the left. I've tried editing the associated .ini and it will then display 50%, but saving the config sets it back to 0.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.