First post, by hard1k
So I'm delighted to present you another sound card project that we've already developed till the prototype stage: AWE64 Legacy
Project team: Alex_NsD, CoolTweak, H_Rush, hard1k
Our project is inspired by this one made by anthony, but has gone a little further.
So, to sum up, it's a newly designed sound card built up from scratch, based on the original chipset of the 2nd gen Creative SB AWE64 Value (CT4520): Creative CT8920-NBQ chip and Creative CT1972-UAS/EMU8011-01 WaveROM.
New and reworked features include:
1. The onboard 28 MB of RAM - basically, it is an integrated SIMMConn Value (credits: Xu Wang aka SIMMConn) with an integrated 32Mb SIMM72.
2. True Yamaha OPL3 chipset (YMF262+YAC512) - the schematics were borrowed from the Resound OPL3 card (credits: TexElec). We still have to find the best way to make this function work along with the integrated CQM disabled/moved to 0x398h, we hope to get some assistance from you guys who wrote in this thread.
3. Intelligent MPU-401 onboard - it is an integrated HardMPU (credits: ab0tj).
4. Waveblaster header.
5. Routable MIDI Inputs/Outputs between both CT8920 / HardMPU parts and the Waveblaster header / MIDI pins of the gameport.
6. Redesigned analog part.
7. Onboard S/PDIF RCA output with onboard level convertor.
8. AWE64 Gold-styled 2xRCA analog output.
9. AC97 Front panel header.
10. The board complies with ISA Half-Size measures: 185 х 120 mm.
11. PCB has 6 layers with separate Analog and Digital planes. Power supply has its own layer.
QUESTIONNAIRE ON ADDITIONAL FEATURES - CLOSED ON SEP 15
Summary of the current progress and features:
IMPLEMENTED & TESTED
ALL BASIC FUNCTIONS
WAVEBLASTER HEADER (IN PARALLEL WITH LINE-IN)
OPL3 (YMF262+YAC512, IN PARALLEL WITH CD-IN)
IMPLEMENTED, BUT NOT TESTED YET
INTERNAL MPC HEADER FOR CD-IN
INTERNAL MPC HEADER FOR LINE-OUT
INTERNAL 2-PIN HEADER FOR SPK-IN (PCSPK)
FRONT PANEL CONNECTORS HEADER (AC97 PINOUT, MIC IN AND SPK OUT MOVED THERE FROM THE MAIN BRACKET)
INTELLIGENT MPU-401 ONBOARD, HARDMPU DESIGN (CREDITS: ab0tj)
SWITCHES/JUMPERS TO CHOOSE THE ROUTING OF THE MIDI OUTPUT FROM BETWEEN BOTH CT8920 / HARDMPU PART AND WAVEBLASTER HEADER / GAMEPORT MIDI PINS
SWITCHES/JUMPERS TO DISABLE THE OPL3, HARDMPU (AND CHOOSE ITS IRQ / IO PORT)
FREE SPACE ON THE PCB FOR SOME ADDITIONAL STAND OFFS FOR THE DAUGHTERBOARD
TB RIO COMPATIBILITY
JP2 (MFBEN) FROM THE ORIGINAL CT4520
REASSIGNED PARALLEL INPUT PAIRS: CD-IN + WAVEBLASTER; LINE-IN + OPL3
RESOURCE MAP (EEPROM FIRMWARE) FOR CQM AT 0x398H
DISCARDED DUE TO HIGH COMPLEXITY / LACK OF INTEREST / USELESSNESS
NEW S/PDIF IMPLEMENTATION
ADDITIONAL WAVEBLASTER HEADER
MEDIATRIX 3D-XG STYLE FOR WAVEBLASTER HEADER ANALOG SIGNAL ROUTING (DB60XG COMPATIBLE)