VOGONS

AWE64 Legacy

Topic actions

Reply 142 of 782, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is hilarious. To me creative didn't make many good sound cards, most had some had flaws in a way or another. The only cards I consider as "decent" are the 1st gen cards, because they did everything the others did, but better, with more functionalities and for cheaper. They did have some problems, but they had the excuse of it being their first successful product. Afterwards, they have no excuse.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 143 of 782, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hard1k wrote:

...strange behaviour of the Line In jack on CT4520. In fact, it did mono while it was clearly supposed to be a stereo input. CT4390 acted the same. We've become curious, traced the signal, and had to desolder the jack, and we've found a jumper trace there, shortening L and R channels of the stereo input!

Those two "inside" pins are connected to "outside" pins of the connector only when there is nothing plugged into the connector. This function can be used to redirect signal to another connector (as I do on SSI-2001/DuoSID/FMonster), or, if it is an input, to short input to ground to prevent noise pickup. So, I presume, that trace in between is going to analog ground.
When something IS plugged into the connector, those two pins connect to nothing. And what matters most are "outside" pins.

Attachments

• 3.5mm.png
    Filename
    3.5mm.png
    File size
    24.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

New BIG soundcard: FMonster.
Covox Sound Master replica
Innovation SSI-2001 replica & DuoSID.
My audio/video collection.

Reply 146 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys,

Just as a minor update and to confirm that we're still alive and kicking:

111.jpg
Filename
111.jpg
File size
133.23 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Stay tuned 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 149 of 782, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote:
the Goat wrote:

The joystick/midi port looks way too low.

It should be fine down there

I remember having to remove a composite video out RCA jack placed down low like that. The motherboard had a capacitor that was in the way. That was an AGP card. So there was only one slot I could use.

Reply 150 of 782, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
the Goat wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
the Goat wrote:

It should be fine down there

I remember having to remove a composite video out RCA jack placed down low like that. The motherboard had a capacitor that was in the way. That was an AGP card. So there was only one slot I could use.

good point, I was thinking strictly from a rear bracket standpoint

Reply 151 of 782, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It might clash with a lot of capacitors, headers and socketed ICs (especially keyboard controllers) that motherboard manufacturers loved to inconveniently place there.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 154 of 782, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
the Goat wrote:

Indeed. Some cases (my old Gateway 486 included) have a bezel that encroaches on the bottom of the expansion slots. On an ordinary SB16 the game port was partially obscured; with this design, most of the game port would be.

Reply 155 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, it's as low as on the regular SB16/AWE64/Vibra cards, not lower, not higher. However if we find a way to raise it higher a bit, we'll do that. But so far it looks not too probable tbh.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 157 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In fact it was our initial plan. But people complained too much, just read the topic from the beginning.
It seems you can't please everyone.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 158 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, not *exactly* this one, but still - we wanted to make a 15-pin onboard header with the DB15 on the IDC cable.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 159 of 782, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DNSDies wrote:

Have you considered using a DB15 3-row header and just making a converter cable?
It would allow you to use a smaller footprint on the connector.

I'd much rather have to deal with moving slots to avoid mechanical interference than deal with some stupid dongle