VOGONS

First post, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't find any reference to this having been looked into or addressed, but since I was bothered by it, here is a fix for the volume clipping/distortion problem when playing Sierra's, "The Colonel's Bequest," with an early-model (v1.xx) MT-32.

Assuming the game has been configured for MT-32 playback, just extract the file into the game directory, and the interpreter will use it in lieu of the resource-bundled version.

Attachments

• Filename
    PATCH.ZIP
    File size
    4.12 KiB
    Downloads
    68 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 4, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Byte 0x3E in the "patch" file appears to specify a master volume data range, in turn affecting the scaling factor when SysEx is used to modify the master volume. For most Sierra games, this byte is 0x64, or 100, which corresponds well with the MT-32. For whatever reason (looking at you, Ken Allen), the PATCH.001 file for Colonel's Bequest specifies a value of 0x7F, or 127. Changing that single byte to 0x64 results in lower master volume settings throughout, resolving most of the clipping issues.

Reply 4 of 4, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool. I imagined it was something like that. Thanks, man 😀

Incidentally, doesn't KQ4 do a similar thing? Can't remember because I haven't played it in so long, but it's the only other Sierra title I remember clipping.