VOGONS

First post, by crazybubba64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I recently rescued and repaired a Sound Blaster Pro which was mounted in an "Art display". It had a hole drilled in it, so I needed to replace some traces.

SB_Pro.jpg
Filename
SB_Pro.jpg
File size
959.7 KiB
Views
File comment
Spaghetti Blaster Pro
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Finding information on the original SB Pro has proven to be kind of difficult, as these cards seem to be pretty uncommon.

Were there any programs made that could play MIDIs in stereo with the dual OPL2's? I know that dual OPL2 support was pretty rare. The WDM drivers in win98 play MIDI files in mono on both channels.

Reply 3 of 8, by crazybubba64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote:

Man as soon as you finish beating the artists ass can you shorten the bodge wires a lil thanks 🤣

It's working happily at the moment, so it's going to stay the "Spaghetti Blaster" until I need to change them out. It isn't pretty, but it gets a fun name and a story behind it. (They were also a huge PITA to get soldered without bridging pins)

Anyways, PX player does allow stereo OPL2 playback! Sadly, the conversion from .mid to .xmi tends to break music in seemingly magical ways (notes start slurring or pitch-shifting erratically, some instruments get dropped completely).

Are there any programs like this that don't need to convert the MIDI?

Reply 5 of 8, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had one of these new. It came with "Voyetra Sequencer Plus Pro".
There was another version of that program that came with my AWE32, so I could be mixing up the name.
I haven't used that program in decades but I'm pretty sure it supported stereo, and I believe it uses .MID files directly.
It's a DOS program though. The card did not come with a MIDI editor for Windows.

I don't remember about stereo vs mono in the Windows driver.

Reply 6 of 8, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mmm..and according to the latest date stamp on the 74xx logic chips. Looks to have been made in early to mid December of 1991. Do the pins on those ICs go through the board at all or are they SMD? If they do happen to go through the board, it might be easier to solder on the bottom side of the PCB and allow for much shorter wires that way as well. I know you like it having the longer wires and calling is the Spaghetti Blaster but it was already used as 'Art' once in its life...

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 7 of 8, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CrossBow777 wrote on 2020-01-07, 15:06:

Mmm..and according to the latest date stamp on the 74xx logic chips. Looks to have been made in early to mid December of 1991. Do the pins on those ICs go through the board at all or are they SMD? If they do happen to go through the board, it might be easier to solder on the bottom side of the PCB and allow for much shorter wires that way as well. I know you like it having the longer wires and calling is the Spaghetti Blaster but it was already used as 'Art' once in its life...

I'm pretty sure that those are PLCC packages. In a case like that I'd use wire-wrap wire and perhaps some polyimide tape to hold it in place during and after soldering.

The easiest "premium" repair I can think of would involve a thin custom PCB that touches the pins of the relevant components.