VOGONS

First post, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I saw this on a certain auction website....a NOS speaker system that fits in a 5.25" drive bay!!

Has anyone ever seen/heard of something like this before? The weird stuff that came out in the 90s amazes me.

Edit: updated to correct bay size.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    63.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by kolderman on 2019-09-07, 10:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 11, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks I fixed it to 5.25. Why were they used? I mean, having the sound come from under the desk or what...the butt ugly bunny ear speakers on many 90s computers were terrible but at least the sound came from the right direction.

Reply 4 of 11, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

How does it connect to the sound card?

There was another photo with a minijack cable...I am guessing it somehow gets outside the case and plugin into the normal line-out of the card. There was also a photo of a molex cable which is where I assume it gets its power.

Reply 5 of 11, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These kinds of drive bay shenanigans are to be seen as they are, as pure gimmicks, rarely even close to be able to work as intended.

Drive bay "metres" not metering, just flashing/jumping about without rhyme or reason.
Drive bay "speakers" sounding worse than the integrated speaker. of a quarter the diaphragm size.
Drive bay "equalizers" doing nothing except distorting the sound ad infinitum (combined with one of those "speakers", pure bliss) (and bleeding ears).
and the best:
Drive bay ashtrays with cigarette lighters, so you can make your PC disgusting and unwanted by anyone else after you..... with style.

Reply 6 of 11, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

How does it connect to the sound card?

Most sound cards back then had internal headers behind the standard jacks where you could connect internal speakers. If the header was not present, you had to route an ordinary 3.5" mini-jack cable to the line-out of the sound card.

Why were they used?

Because they saved quite a bit of space and cables when used with a desktop PC case. You would of course not use them in a tower under your desk.

Reply 7 of 11, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen many such speaker systems, as well as cases with speakers built into them.
And the speakers were always connected to the card via the jack on the rear bracket, and then... the cable was routed back into the computer thru a special bracket with a hole in it 😁
Also, to properly hear stereo from such speakers, you need to shrink to the size of a few centimeters, and place yourself a few centimeters from the computer's case 😁

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 8 of 11, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jaZz_KCS wrote:

and the best:
Drive bay ashtrays with cigarette lighters, so you can make your PC disgusting and unwanted by anyone else after you..... with style.

I need this

Reply 9 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jaZz_KCS wrote:

and the best:

Cool -err- ugly! It goes well with an already installed motorized coffee cup holder, i suppose. 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 11, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice thread. It made me so a little searching, it’s cool to see that a black version is still easy to find: https://www.newegg.com/black-cyber-acoustics- … N82E16836150072

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 11 of 11, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BinaryDemon wrote:

Nice thread. It made me so a little searching, it’s cool to see that a black version is still easy to find: https://www.newegg.com/black-cyber-acoustics- … N82E16836150072

Hehe. It's probably easier to buy it then than a desktop form-factor PC case you might want to put it in.