VOGONS

First post, by Am386DX-40

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So here's the thing, I'm building one system from each era and I'm undecided on how to distribute the sound cards among them. These are the available options:

No sound card, just pc speaker
Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1600
Sound Blaster 16 MCD CT1750 (with DSP 4.05, no hanging notes bug)
Sound Blaster 32 PnP CT3600 (with no extra simm memory)
Gravis Ultrasound MAX v2.1 (with 1mb installed)
MediaVision Pro Audio Studio 16 XL

which should go into:

XT clone with a NEC V20 at 12 mhz and 1mb of ram
286 20 mhz with 2mb of ram
386DX 40 mhz with 4mb of ram
486DX2 66 mhz with 8 mb of ram
Pentium 133 mhz with 16 mb of ram

So there are 6 options for 5 systems. One condition is that max 1 card (or no card at all) per system, that means that at least one sound card will be left out. Also no windows, all the systems will run MS-DOS 6.22.

How would you do it?

Reply 1 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Am386DX-40 wrote:

One condition is that max 1 card (or no card at all) per system, that means that at least one sound card will be left out.

Really? I count 5 systems and 5 sound cards. "No sound card, just pc speaker" is an option, but not a sound card. 😉

It really depends on what games you plan to play on these systems. The XT does not really need a sound card, but if, only the SB Pro makes sense. Otherwise, put that into the 286.

The GUS is probably best fitted into the 486, as that was the time when most stuff utilizing the GUS was created. The SB16 would be ok as well.

The SB32 would go into the P133.

Reply 2 of 10, by Am386DX-40

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:
Really? I count 5 systems and 5 sound cards. "No sound card, just pc speaker" is an option, but not a sound card. ;) […]
Show full quote
Am386DX-40 wrote:

One condition is that max 1 card (or no card at all) per system, that means that at least one sound card will be left out.

Really? I count 5 systems and 5 sound cards. "No sound card, just pc speaker" is an option, but not a sound card. 😉

It really depends on what games you plan to play on these systems. The XT does not really need a sound card, but if, only the SB Pro makes sense. Otherwise, put that into the 286.

The GUS is probably best fitted into the 486, as that was the time when most stuff utilizing the GUS was created. The SB16 would be ok as well.

The SB32 would go into the P133.

Yeah, I was thinking something like that. I don't like the SB32, but it's the only card that provides general midi (at least until I get a proper roland or a munt/VSC machine next to it). I like the idea of leaving the XT without sound card, the games I'll play there probably won't need one anyways. 286 goes with the sbpro for sure. My doubt is where to place the gus, and I was also leaning for the 486. That leaves the 386 and pentium. If we use the SB32, that goes to the pentium and then it's a toss up between the Pro Audio Studio or the SB16 in the 386. Quality Vs. Compatibility. How compatible would that pro audio studio be with 386 era games?

Reply 3 of 10, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

XT - No sound card, just pc speaker
286 - Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1600
386DX - Sound Blaster 16 MCD CT1750 (the more useful option), or MediaVision Pro Audio Studio 16 XL (the more interresting option)
486DX2 - Gravis Ultrasound MAX v2.1
Pentium - Sound Blaster 32 PnP CT3600

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 4 of 10, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMO I would find a sound card for the XT. An NEC v20 at 12mhz is practically a 286 class machine. I’d bet it even has a vga card. Probably capable of playing many games that support Adlib.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 5 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BinaryDemon wrote:

An NEC v20 at 12mhz is practically a 286 class machine. I’d bet it even has a vga card. Probably capable of playing many games that support Adlib.

Yes, but what would be the reason not to play these games on the real 286 then anyway and only have a sound card there? I would use the XT only for really old games that do not even have sound card support.

Reply 6 of 10, by Am386DX-40

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:
BinaryDemon wrote:

An NEC v20 at 12mhz is practically a 286 class machine. I’d bet it even has a vga card. Probably capable of playing many games that support Adlib.

Yes, but what would be the reason not to play these games on the real 286 then anyway and only have a sound card there? I would use the XT only for really old games that do not even have sound card support.

Exactly. The point of the 286 machine would be to play games that support Adlib/Sb and are too old to play on a 386. The XT would be used for very old games that don't support any kind of sound card, or I could use some sort of covox speech thing on it 🤣.

Reply 7 of 10, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the XT clone, I'd rather put either an Adlib, or a CT1350B w/ CMS upgrade chips (GAL16V8 + 2xSAA1099), as the original Sound Blaster ("Killer Kard") is practically unobtainium these days...

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 8 of 10, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LPT DACs need some CPU power, therefore they aren't a good match for XT.
A proper card for an XT would be Adlib, or at most SB 1.x/2.0, or clone - anyway, with 8-bit ISA connector.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 9 of 10, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can always choose to use PC speaker...

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 10 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:
BinaryDemon wrote:

Yes, but what would be the reason not to play these games on the real 286 then anyway and only have a sound card there?
I would use the XT only for really old games that do not even have sound card support.

My PC/XT clone currently has got a game adapter card (2x DE15) and a HGC clone (with LPT port) installed.
And so far, I'm happy with no VGA card installed, since it wouldn't co-exist very well with the on-board CGA anyway (plus, dual screen is cool 😎).

Hower, if it was something like 1992 and I was into adventure games..
Well, then I likely would consider getting a cheap second-hand XT and try "fixing it" by installing a proper V20/30 processor,
a no-name VGA and a no-name AdLib/SB/GameBlaster/SoundMaster clone. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//