VOGONS

First post, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all, ordered a Dreamblaster X2 for my Sound Blaster 16 CT 1740 and I am curious on a couple of things.

First, I guess I have been hanging out in windows too long because my memory is failing me on this but in pure DOS, the SB16 cannot output 'General Midi' by itself, correct?
For instance, when selecting General Midi in Duke 3D, it says its playing something...but nothing is playing out of the speaker output. I assume all the MIDI commands are going out the gameport/midi port but I'm not 100%. This is expected behavior if you JUST have a SB16 with speakers hooked up to the speaker output, and nothing else...correct?

Now to the reason for this post...when I get the Dreamblaster X2, I just need to install the board to the wavetable header,make sure MIDI is turned up / not muted in SBMIXER, and then in my games, such as Duke 3D I select 'General MIDI, Waveblaster, or Sound Canvas' and I will now hear music coming from the card's speaker output?

Just to be super clear, I am hooking up to the card by just some creative speakers into the speaker output port. I am just double checking that I dont need something that hooks up to the game port / midi port or something like that ahead of time.

Thanks!

Current Systems:
DIP40|8088|640K|HERCULESGB102|PCSPKR
DIP40|V20|640K|VGA|ADLIB/TNDY/COVOX
S7|P233MMX|128M|S3ViRGEDX/DM3D|SB16
S370|P600MMX|256M|SIS630/DM3DIIX2|SBLIVE!5.1
S775|P43.4|2G|6800GS|SBAUDIGY

Reply 2 of 3, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hasnopants wrote:

...when I get the Dreamblaster X2, I just need to install the board to the wavetable header,make sure MIDI is turned up / not muted in SBMIXER, and then in my games, such as Duke 3D I select 'General MIDI, Waveblaster, or Sound Canvas' and I will now hear music coming from the card's speaker output?

That's exactly my setup, except I'm using a Terratec soundcard with a wavetable header.
Double check that the MIDI-setting is not muted in the mixer.

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 3 of 3, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, appreciate the help!

Current Systems:
DIP40|8088|640K|HERCULESGB102|PCSPKR
DIP40|V20|640K|VGA|ADLIB/TNDY/COVOX
S7|P233MMX|128M|S3ViRGEDX/DM3D|SB16
S370|P600MMX|256M|SIS630/DM3DIIX2|SBLIVE!5.1
S775|P43.4|2G|6800GS|SBAUDIGY