VOGONS

First post, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This post made me wonder:

Grzyb wrote:
Oh yeah, at some point somebody realized that sound cards and modems deal with very similar signals - same frequency range, etc. […]
Show full quote
matze79 wrote:

The Best Soundcard for Internet is truly the Phoneblaster 28.8k

Oh yeah, at some point somebody realized that sound cards and modems deal with very similar signals - same frequency range, etc., so it would be profitable to integrate them into one device.
And that was one of the reasons behind the Audio Modem Riser.
But that idea wasn't very successful - there was that Phone Blaster, there was some IBM Mwave stuff, and that's probably all.

Looking at the box of the PhoneBlaster, it appears to be ISA, not AMR.

Do soundcard AMR (Audio Modem Riser) cards actually exist? I've never seen one. All of them seem to be modems.

Reply 2 of 14, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a PCI sound card, and should wor with non asus motherboards allso, as long as you have the drivers.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 4 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an AMR and a CNR modem but not an actual sound card...

IMG_6055.jpg
Filename
IMG_6055.jpg
File size
656.9 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I'm not sure any actual sound cards going in these slots exist, I have got the impression they're meant to be used side by side with the onboard sound.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 14, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

isnt a AMR Modem Card using onboard Soundchip for generating Modem Signals ?

As far as i know AMR is only a Connection to AC97 Soundchip providing necessary insulation from phone line

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 6 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's what I was finding as well.. so there really was 0 point to have an AMR audio riser card since the motherboard would already have the audio jacks in the rear I/O panel... now maybe if you wanted optical in/out there may have been a purpose, but other than that it would have been pointless.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 14, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

That's what I was finding as well.. so there really was 0 point to have an AMR audio riser card since the motherboard would already have the audio jacks in the rear I/O panel... now maybe if you wanted optical in/out there may have been a purpose, but other than that it would have been pointless.

Well, there still were some AT boards, ie. no rear I/O panel, so an AMR card with audio connectors would make sense.
But I have never seen such a thing, I think all AT boards with onboard sound came with a bracket, connected to the board with a ribbon cable.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 8 of 14, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AMR's entire point was to get around FCC licensing requirements for phone communication devices.
An AMR card should only have some voltage regulation to help it interface with 48V phone lines, some passives, a few diodes, and maybe some simple logic chips.

99% of the grunt work is being done by the CPU and onboard audio chip generating the required tones.

I'm grateful it exists, because it means we don't have thousands of motherboards with outdated useless modem hardware and RJ11 jacks on the IO shield.

Reply 9 of 14, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, anything connected to the telephone network needs to be extensively tested. Doing this with every new revision of every motherboard would be difficult and costly. Putting a riser slot on the board gets around this, as now you only need to test the card.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 10 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually AMR devices were quite cool for a very short period in the day. They were less modems than generic PC -> POTS line interfaces. With the right software they could do just about anything you would want to do with a POTS line. Of course that became rather superfluous once internet connections started to go via Ethernet instead of POTS dialup PPP.

I have an Aztech MR2800 for old times' sake in my overkill P3/Win98 system. It's not hooked up to anything now, but I'm sort of looking out for a consumer grade home PBX capable of generating line voltage to allow for dial-up connections inside the home. Terrify the children with modem handshakes 😜

Reply 11 of 14, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's currently an auction in one of local auction sites with this item. Is that the AMR sound card?
1_1_56831946.jpg

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 13 of 14, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apparently there was almost no point to an AMR sound card since AMR uses the motherboard / cpu processing power to drive it and most of the time there is sufficient room on the motherboards I/O backplate for standard connections. Just an alternative way to tap into the motherboards integrated sound.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!