VOGONS

Sound on FreeDOS

Topic actions

First post, by Dagtilki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I'm from Russia (Why I write here? Because I didn't find the suitable topic for this).
I have an old PC from 2003 that's out of the city, I installed here FreeDOS and under that OS - Windows 98.
I installed Realtek AC97 for sound. And it's working... but only on Windows 9x when I play games for this OS and use an apps. When I play old DOS games (on MS-DOS mode or without), I don't hear sound - only PC Speaker.
But when I first installed Windows 98 on this old PC (of course, without FreeDOS or another DOS - only formatted the hard drive with Acronis), here was sound in old DOS-games.

Reply 2 of 26, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Realtek AC97 won’t work under DOS / FreeDOS in an real way (there might be a few media applications that support it, but you won’t be getting Sound Blaster compatibility). I’d look to add a dos compatible sound card, see what you have in terms of isa or pci slots. A PC from 2003 should still support something like a Sound Blaster Live! PCI.

When using Win98 with Realtek AC97, most dos games should work with Sound Blaster compatible Sound when launched from within Win98.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 3 of 26, by Dagtilki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Are you sure it was working at some point before?

Emmm... it was not quite like that.
When I installed Windows 98 the first time to the empty hard drive, of course here wasn't sound on DOS when I restarted in MS-DOS mode. But in Windows 98 in some old DOS games like a Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake and many others there was a sound (Sound Blaster 16).
But when I installed under FreeDOS, here's no sound on old DOS games. Neither DOS, neither Windows 9x.

Reply 5 of 26, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don’t know anything about running win98 ontop of FreeDOS but in pure FreeDOS if you are setting up a dos compatible sound card you need to use the /sb switch on the emm386 emulation line in config.sys:

device=jemm386.exe /sb

Maybe win98 requires this as well?

Check out DOSBox Distro:

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Reply 6 of 26, by Dagtilki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BinaryDemon wrote:

I don’t know anything about running win98 ontop of FreeDOS but in pure FreeDOS if you are setting up a dos compatible sound card you need to use the /sb switch on the emm386 emulation line in config.sys:

device=jemm386.exe /sb

Maybe win98 requires this as well?

I installed Windows 98 under FreeDOS from disk.

Emm, what about JEMM386? Yesterday I installed QEMM, because when I tried to play on DOS mode, here was error that hadn't enough memory to play this game.

Reply 7 of 26, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't quite get what you did. When installing Win9x, it will overwrite whatever DOS you had installed before and use MS-DOS 7.1. It may detect FreeDOS and in the boot manager allows selecting it as an alternate OS, but you'll never run Win9x from FreeDOS. (if you managed to do somehow, it's not supposed to work anyway)

Reply 8 of 26, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd go back to square one an ignore FreeDos all together and install win98se and use a sound card with dos support on its Dos cli. Use a boot disk with cdrom support from such as bootdisk.com or similar and do the install routine using that or from a directory on the hard drive.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 9 of 26, by Dagtilki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote:

I'd go back to square one an ignore FreeDos all together and install win98se and use a sound card with dos support on its Dos cli. Use a boot disk with cdrom support from such as bootdisk.com or similar and do the install routine using that or from a directory on the hard drive.

I had everything a little wrong.
I installed FreeDOS and Windows 98 on the different drives.
FreeDOS is installed on C drive, and Windows 98 - on D.

Reply 10 of 26, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dagtilki wrote:
I had everything a little wrong. I installed FreeDOS and Windows 98 on the different drives. FreeDOS is installed on C drive, an […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote:

I'd go back to square one an ignore FreeDos all together and install win98se and use a sound card with dos support on its Dos cli. Use a boot disk with cdrom support from such as bootdisk.com or similar and do the install routine using that or frohttps://www.vogons.org/faq.phpm a directory on the hard drive.

I had everything a little wrong.
I installed FreeDOS and Windows 98 on the different drives.
FreeDOS is installed on C drive, and Windows 98 - on D.

Ok that makes a bit more sense. I don't see any advantage of FreeDos over MS Dos 7.1. A Dos compatible card will be the way to go though if you intend to run programs in plain MSDos or FreeDos. At least both drives will be fat32. AC'97 should cover the windows side of things.

Reply 12 of 26, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

A bit more explaination from APOGEE on the SET BLASTER = variable http://www.rinkworks.com/apogee/s/6.4.2.shtml

Reply 13 of 26, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You will never get sound in pure DOS on that machine. Only inside of Windows 98, as Win9x provides some SB Pro emulation for DOS programs.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 15 of 26, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dagtilki wrote:

Full name of my Realtek:
Realtek C655 @ SiS 7012 Audio

I don't know if you're hoping to get a different answer from other people but you're not going to.

You will NEVER get sound in FreeDOS using this sound card, in DOS games that is. You have to use Windows 98 to take advantage of the SB Pro emulation.

Get a computer with ISA slots so you can use a real Sound Blaster or compatible.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 16 of 26, by kd2600

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dagtilki wrote on 2019-10-27, 14:09:
Hello, I'm from Russia (Why I write here? Because I didn't find the suitable topic for this). I have an old PC from 2003 that's […]
Show full quote

Hello, I'm from Russia (Why I write here? Because I didn't find the suitable topic for this).
I have an old PC from 2003 that's out of the city, I installed here FreeDOS and under that OS - Windows 98.
I installed Realtek AC97 for sound. And it's working... but only on Windows 9x when I play games for this OS and use an apps. When I play old DOS games (on MS-DOS mode or without), I don't hear sound - only PC Speaker.
But when I first installed Windows 98 on this old PC (of course, without FreeDOS or another DOS - only formatted the hard drive with Acronis), here was sound in old DOS-games.

Hi, try this software https://sound-dos.ucoz.ru/

This is a modified version of the HXDOS-extender (2.17+) to work with the modern sound cards:
Intel-HDA, ICH/AC97, VIA82xx, ENS1371/1373, CMI 8338/8738.

Maybe this will help you.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-31, 07:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 26, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kd2600 wrote on 2020-03-28, 15:00:

Hi, try this software https://sound-dos.ucoz.ru/

This is a modified version of the HXDOS-extender (2.17+) to work with the modern sound cards:
Intel-HDA, ICH/AC97, VIA82xx, ENS1371/1373, CMI 8338/8738.

It won't work, unless you are going to tell him to stub the WIN32 DOSBox and play games from DOSBox in real DOS. Why even suggest this for typical user? Many had already given the right answers.

Reply 19 of 26, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kjliew wrote on 2020-03-29, 04:43:

It won't work, unless you are going to tell him to stub the WIN32 DOSBox and play games from DOSBox in real DOS. Why even suggest this for typical user? Many had already given the right answers.

I wish I had known this was a possibility before now. I gotta try this.

Check out DOSBox Distro: