VOGONS

Reply 40 of 43, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Panties wrote on 2022-01-07, 07:18:
Good Day Appiah4 & ESS owners and Vogons users..., Sorry to necro this old thread... […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-06, 14:24:
OK I checked out my 386SX. It has this card installed, jumpered as shown in photo: […]
Show full quote

OK I checked out my 386SX. It has this card installed, jumpered as shown in photo:

Edison-Gold-16-D.jpg

Here is the system configuration for DOS:

ES688-AUTOEXEC.jpg ES688-CONFIG.jpg

Here is the ESSCFG output:

ES688-ESSCFG-02.jpg ES688-ESSCFG-01.jpg

As you can see it responds to the ESSCFG.EXE from the Edison Gold-16 pack I mentioned above. The card is jumpered to A220, and the Joystick/IDE are also jumper controlled but I7 and D1 can be changed at boot using ESSCFG. If you do not want to load ESSCFG at boot, it automatically configures as A220 I7 D1 regardless.

It is also completely responsive and functional with ESSVOL:

ES688-ESSVOL.jpg

Also, I can confirm that the ENMPU TSR is not compatible with SOFTMPU, apparently. I hadn't noticed because I use a MIDI Interface Card in this system at 330 instead, but I can use devices that do not need intelligent mode on port 300 with this card.

For more information about setting up this card with ESSCFG you may want to check out thispost and this post I made to another user in another argument..

Good Day Appiah4 & ESS owners and Vogons users...,
Sorry to necro this old thread...

I just recently bought this card for a very fairly cheap price,.... so I getting this card for a Pentium 166 MMX (My lowest Retro computer in my home.. I do not own a 386 nor 486..).

I saw your card, and it is pretty much identical to what I have... (yours is "Gold-16 Rev 3.2B" written on your PCB... while mine is "SX_16 Rev 2.1").
I have attached the picture (Sorry for low quality).

I been vogons/googling research about this card, before I even post the question here.
So bear with me, if my question are "too silly"...

a. Base on your Picture, JP2 - "CLOSE ENABLE SOFTWAVE ADDRESS FOR ES1688 CHIP ONLY" . What that jumper does? what does it do?
(Because mine, it is stated "EN" and that's all. Don't know what that does...)
b. So, Since my board, is quite identical as yours, which driver do you use? I want to try to same drivers as yours, and test it.. 😀

Appreciate your feedback on this....

JP2 is SOFTWARE ADDRESS (not SOFTWAVE ADDRESS) and only relevant for enabling/disabling PnP initialization for ES1688; for your card it is useless.

I used these drivers:http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1461

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 41 of 43, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2022-01-07, 10:18:
Panties wrote on 2022-01-07, 07:18:
Good Day Appiah4 & ESS owners and Vogons users..., Sorry to necro this old thread... […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-06, 14:24:
OK I checked out my 386SX. It has this card installed, jumpered as shown in photo: […]
Show full quote

OK I checked out my 386SX. It has this card installed, jumpered as shown in photo:

Edison-Gold-16-D.jpg

Here is the system configuration for DOS:

ES688-AUTOEXEC.jpg ES688-CONFIG.jpg

Here is the ESSCFG output:

ES688-ESSCFG-02.jpg ES688-ESSCFG-01.jpg

As you can see it responds to the ESSCFG.EXE from the Edison Gold-16 pack I mentioned above. The card is jumpered to A220, and the Joystick/IDE are also jumper controlled but I7 and D1 can be changed at boot using ESSCFG. If you do not want to load ESSCFG at boot, it automatically configures as A220 I7 D1 regardless.

It is also completely responsive and functional with ESSVOL:

ES688-ESSVOL.jpg

Also, I can confirm that the ENMPU TSR is not compatible with SOFTMPU, apparently. I hadn't noticed because I use a MIDI Interface Card in this system at 330 instead, but I can use devices that do not need intelligent mode on port 300 with this card.

For more information about setting up this card with ESSCFG you may want to check out thispost and this post I made to another user in another argument..

Good Day Appiah4 & ESS owners and Vogons users...,
Sorry to necro this old thread...

I just recently bought this card for a very fairly cheap price,.... so I getting this card for a Pentium 166 MMX (My lowest Retro computer in my home.. I do not own a 386 nor 486..).

I saw your card, and it is pretty much identical to what I have... (yours is "Gold-16 Rev 3.2B" written on your PCB... while mine is "SX_16 Rev 2.1").
I have attached the picture (Sorry for low quality).

I been vogons/googling research about this card, before I even post the question here.
So bear with me, if my question are "too silly"...

a. Base on your Picture, JP2 - "CLOSE ENABLE SOFTWAVE ADDRESS FOR ES1688 CHIP ONLY" . What that jumper does? what does it do?
(Because mine, it is stated "EN" and that's all. Don't know what that does...)
b. So, Since my board, is quite identical as yours, which driver do you use? I want to try to same drivers as yours, and test it.. 😀

Appreciate your feedback on this....

JP2 is SOFTWARE ADDRESS (not SOFTWAVE ADDRESS) and only relevant for enabling/disabling PnP initialization for ES1688; for your card it is useless.

I used these drivers:http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1461

Here's a better image, taken by my Phone.
thx for the driver... ill try it out this weekends...

but err.. i checked your picture once more... it is SOFTWAVE.... im 110% sure... i even enlarge it by zooming with my phone...
u sure i don't need to concern abt it? its enabled/Closed, in my picture... (JOY EN)

Attachments

Reply 43 of 43, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK, I've also checked mine and it also says SOFTWAVE, strange. Regardless, disregard it for ES688.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.