VOGONS

First post, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I was using this card along a Roland rap 10 and really loved it. Yesterday i tried to use the card with my yamaha MU80 in a new machine but... no luck. I tried both settings on the card. The sb-midi and the mpu-401. In the case of the mpu-401 i get a no connection error on the MU80 and in the sb-midi option the devices wont communicate! I have no hardware MPU. I tried the ENMPU.EXE TSR but still no luck.
I have enabled the sound blaster pro dsp.
I have the ESS chipset enabled.
Any ideas?
The machine is a pentium mmx 200, I used it with opti929 - 930, sound blaster 16-awe, aztech and YMF719, the MU80 worked with all.
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 P330 T6 as with all of them
Also tried it in my Slot 1. Still wont play with an external midi.

Sound-Leader-Pro-16-E-Card-1.jpg

Reply 1 of 10, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is working under windows using the generic microsoft MPU-401 driver. But under port 220! Isn't that a bit strange? The card is in sbmidi mode. Does that mean that i wont be able to connect external midi modules?

Reply 3 of 10, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The output is ESSMPU(220) and the module is working. Tried FF VII and it picks up midi and XG. The strange thing is that it uses the port address of the sound card (220) and not a regular midi port(3xx)!

Reply 4 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's normal for SB-MIDI.

From the programming guide, section 5-2:

SB-MIDI mode shares the same I/O ports and 8-bit DMA mode interrupt status bit associated with digitized sound. This means that you can access the MIDI port by writing to and reading from the DSP.

https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2018/reading … oundBlaster.pdf

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 10, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting! So in theory setting up softmpu in pure dos using the port and irq of the sound card (220 & 7) should have given me output? And what port should i choose in games? They range to 3xx. Am I missing something?

Reply 6 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using the ENMPU.EXE TSR that ES688 requires for using the MPU401?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
i2lgames wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Are you using the ENMPU.EXE TSR that ES688 requires for using the MPU401?

Yes i have. But using port 330 and irq 9. It will load but the midi port wont be detected by games.

The TSR may be defaulting to IRQ2? I have a few Non-PnP ES688 cards and none of them allow me to actually change the MPU401 Port or IRQ via jumpers, they are hardwired to 330/2 IIRC.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 10 of 10, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got it to work using the jumpers on sbmidi and running softmpu /mpu:330 /sb:220 /irq:7 :/output:sbmidi
Works with some older games (clouds/darkside of Xeen, cannon fodder) but breaks many others. The ENMPU.EXE does nothing at all.