VOGONS

Reply 542 of 550, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got my Orpheus Sound Card today. This is a super cool sound card with the awesome sound quality. Still doing some tweaking between the DOS and Windows environments, but overall it's working great in my Pentium MMX 233 build!

Last edited by jasa1063 on 2021-04-06, 13:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 543 of 550, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome project! 😀

I have a few (possibly rather odd) questions:
1. Unlikely, but let me ask anyhow: Is it 8 bit ISA compatible?
2. Can you use the HardMPU portion of the card as a standalone MPU401 and disable the rest of the soundcard functions?

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 544 of 550, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks for the kind words and support jasa1063! wish you many hours of enjoyment out of it 😀

@Hezus
1. I have not tested with a 8bit slot but keep in mind you need at least a 286 to use the sound card portion of Orpheus
2. the PCMIDI part of the card is standalone so you can just use it without initializing the sound portion - PCMIDI will work in a 8bit slot without issues since it's a 8bit card to begin with

🎵 PCMIDI mpu site buy+info
🎧 WIP Orpheus soundcard site
💻 WTB Amstrad PC7486SLC-33 system

Reply 546 of 550, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got mine a few days ago, too. It's beautiful and definitely will find its place in my daily driver retro pc 🤩 Too much work right now but as soon as I have time I will install it and make some recordings for my channel.

Reply 547 of 550, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got mine setup today! I haven't tested every feature yet but the digital out sounds amazing! I am so impressed! I have roland emulator hooked up with the UM one and the line in and it sounds exactly the way it should. The OPL3 sound is perfectly crunchy and twangy. Compared to my emulation setup with high quality digital out of a modern PC with an x-fi card, it sounds just as good, maybe even a bit better. Awesome.

The line in adds a tiny bit of noise but I can only hear it when everything is dead silent. I am looking forward to experiencing WSS for the first time. Great work guys! So pleased with it so far!

Reply 548 of 550, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks for the kind words guys!
hope you all get many hours of enjoyment out of your cards 😀
and thanks for your support - it's ultimately what makes things happen!

🎵 PCMIDI mpu site buy+info
🎧 WIP Orpheus soundcard site
💻 WTB Amstrad PC7486SLC-33 system

Reply 549 of 550, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-04-14, 04:56:

the digital out sounds amazing!

I remember being very enthusiast about the digital output of soundcards and searching in every way possible to tap in the pcm signal before the DAC my vintage soundcards. Eventually someone challenged me about it and made me realize pcm is not always the best way to go. The most important question to be ask, beside internal routing, is "does the DAC of your receiver/amplifier is better than the one on your soundcard?". While this might be true for many commercial soundcards, I believe Marmen and Keropi put alot of efforts and attention to details at having a DAC on the Orpheus that most certainly beat the one on the Onkyo tx-8140 on which it is currently connected. That is why, while I could use the digital output of the card, I went the analog route there.

Reply 550 of 550, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElBrunzy wrote on 2021-04-14, 19:35:
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-04-14, 04:56:

the digital out sounds amazing!

I remember being very enthusiast about the digital output of soundcards and searching in every way possible to tap in the pcm signal before the DAC my vintage soundcards. Eventually someone challenged me about it and made me realize pcm is not always the best way to go. The most important question to be ask, beside internal routing, is "does the DAC of your receiver/amplifier is better than the one on your soundcard?". While this might be true for many commercial soundcards, I believe Marmen and Keropi put alot of efforts and attention to details at having a DAC on the Orpheus that most certainly beat the one on the Onkyo tx-8140 on which it is currently connected. That is why, while I could use the digital output of the card, I went the analog route there.

I use SPDIF because it doesn't have any noise or extra resistance when run through a switch. I have three other sound cards spread out over two computers in my setup.