VOGONS

ESS Solo 1 different versions

Topic actions

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While messing around with my sound card collection, I stumbled upon the same card but in 2 different versions.
Ver1.1 is labelled as: TTSOLO1-S
Ver1.2 is labelled as: TTSOLO1-NL
I'm pretty ignorant about audio cards quality, but both versions seems to have something that the other is missing.
Ver 1.1: has more connectors, including the weavetable.
Ver 1.2: has the real jp1 settings and it has more chips in the upper part of the card and the sb-link.
Here are the pictures: https://imgur.com/a/AoIlz52
In your opinion, what is better between those 2?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 79, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First, the presence of the connectors are not related to the pcb version. I own a pile of Solo-1 cards and even same versions are differently populated.

The left card has no SB-Link connector soldered in and is also missing the amps, so it can only output line level (which is what you want anyway). Funny however that the right card, which has the amps and the SB-Link connector, is missing the wavetable header instead. 😁

Use the left one. You'll probably not need SB-Link and speaker-level output, but the wavetable option. You can also just add the missing components to either card.

Reply 2 of 79, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

[...]Use the left one. You'll probably not need SB-Link and speaker-level output, but the wavetable option. You can also just add the missing components to either card.

Thank you for the answer and the advice.
I do not need the wavetable since I don't own any wavetable card, but it always can come handy.
To my knowledge sblink can come useful in dos...
Can you please explain me what it the speaker level output?
I just usually connect the speakers (cheap 2.0 speakers for my retro build) and set the volume from there and\or from windows\dos applications.

Reply 3 of 79, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nemo1985 wrote:
Thank you for the answer and the advice. I do not need the wavetable since I don't own any wavetable card, but it always can com […]
Show full quote

Thank you for the answer and the advice.
I do not need the wavetable since I don't own any wavetable card, but it always can come handy.
To my knowledge sblink can come useful in dos...
Can you please explain me what it the speaker level output?
I just usually connect the speakers (cheap 2.0 speakers for my retro build) and set the volume from there and\or from windows\dos applications.

SBLINK are useful for motherboards that supports it. With speaker level outputs you can use passive speakers, speakers which don't contain an amplifier or use an external one.

Both my 1.1 and 1.2 cards are of the TTSOLO1-S type. I have soldered the SBLINK header on the 1.1 one and it's working just fine.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 79, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can confirm that wavetable doesn't need presence of any other chips than the Solo-1 itself. I had a Terratec Solo-1 (can't remember whether it was -S or -NL) without wavetable header or any other stuff, just the bare minimum. Soldered on the header and it worked straight away 😀

Reply 5 of 79, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While installing a Solo-1 in the Carry-1 mini PC, I made some discoveries based on the different Solo-1 cards that I have in my collection (which are all from Terratec, revisions 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2).

1. Solo-1 cards with no EEPROM chip have fixed resources. There's only a single base configuration and even when switching to manual mode, you can not change the resources. It's always IRQ 5, DMA 1, etc. Makes sense, as with no EEPROM, the card would have no way to store any user settings.

2. If you want WDM drivers and DOS support, you can actually do that. Install the non-WDM drivers first - this will install full DOS support (works already when pressing F8 and enter plain DOS mode, no need to load Windows). Then in the device manager, use "update drivers" and point it to the WDM drivers. This will replace the non-WDM drivers with the WDM drivers, but leaving the already installed DOS support intact.

Reply 6 of 79, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool, thanks a lot for the tip! 😁
The TT-Solo was about the only modern audio card with FM that I was able to get working in Windows XP,
albeit with poor FM support, as it turned out. The WDM drivers of XP were to blame as it turned out later on.
Hardware wise the Solo-1 is pretty neat and trouble-free. It supports ESFM, that enhanced OPL3 compatible, doesn't it ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 79, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-10, 16:40:

While installing a Solo-1 in the Carry-1 mini PC, I made some discoveries based on the different Solo-1 cards that I have in my collection (which are all from Terratec, revisions 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2).

1. Solo-1 cards with no EEPROM chip have fixed resources. There's only a single base configuration and even when switching to manual mode, you can not change the resources. It's always IRQ 5, DMA 1, etc. Makes sense, as with no EEPROM, the card would have no way to store any user settings.

2. If you want WDM drivers and DOS support, you can actually do that. Install the non-WDM drivers first - this will install full DOS support (works already when pressing F8 and enter plain DOS mode, no need to load Windows). Then in the device manager, use "update drivers" and point it to the WDM drivers. This will replace the non-WDM drivers with the WDM drivers, but leaving the already installed DOS support intact.

I just want use a Allegro/Maestro one. So using wdm driver will cover the basic sound and disable the DOS sound?
The mobo has ISA slot, i dont care about sb emualtion.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 9 of 79, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The WDM drivers don't even come with the files for sound in DOS (but they have other advantages and are more stable). But of course you will still get sound in DOS games if you start them from Windows. But if you need or want to boot into plain DOS, the sound card doesn't exist there when having installed the WDM drivers only.

Reply 10 of 79, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-12, 09:26:

The WDM drivers don't even come with the files for sound in DOS (but they have other advantages and are more stable). But of course you will still get sound in DOS games if you start them from Windows. But if you need or want to boot into plain DOS, the sound card doesn't exist there when having installed the WDM drivers only.

The idea of using wdm drivers is just to allow digital audio on daemon tools.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 11 of 79, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The idea of using wdm drivers is just to allow digital audio on daemon tools.

Sorry, but that just made me laugh. 🤣

Yeah, let's forget about all the advantages that WDM drivers offer; most important thing is of course that you can play your illegally downloaded ISOs with CDDA when using WDM drivers.

Apart from that, I don't see what the sound card drivers have to do with that. Digital read-out of CDDA is a feature of Windows 98 and must be supported by the optical drive. It's then just PCM data that is sent to the sound card. I have this enabled on my Pentium 200 MMX built and that certainly does not use WDM drivers for the sound card, as there are none for the installed ALS100+ (drivers are for Win95). It works anyhow...

Reply 12 of 79, by subnet_zero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just for the sake 😅 of it: The TTSOLO1-SL VER1.2
- No wavetable
- No amp
- But SB-Link

Attachments

Reply 14 of 79, by 4xtx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's 2 for the collection.

The ES1938MI is currently being used in an EPIA-ITX based project

Attachments

• E1938-202.jpg
    Filename
    E1938-202.jpg
    File size
    102.44 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    E1938-202 PCI
    File license
    Public domain
  • es1938MI.jpg
    Filename
    es1938MI.jpg
    File size
    337.74 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ES1938MI
    File license
    Public domain

YT: https://www.youtube.com/@techdistractions

Reply 15 of 79, by Action Replay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've done a little exploring of the different versions of the TerraTec ESS Solo 1 cards. These are the findings of the naming scheme:

The N seems to indicate the presence of the onboard amplifier ( aNplifier)
The S seems to indicate no amplifier ( Sans amplifier)
The L means SB-Link header present (Link)
No L means Wavetable header present

Models
TTSOLO1-S - Wavetable header, no SB-link, no amplifier
TTSOLO1-SL - No Wavetable header, SB-link, no amplifier
TTSOLO1-N - Wavetable header, no SB-link, Amplifier + EPROM
TTSOLO1-NL - No Wavetable header, SB-link, Amplifier + EPROM
128i PCI - retail version of TTSOLO1-S or SL. The 128i drivers include a software wavetable.
Gold-plated version of the TTSOLO1-N, possibly without EPROM and earlier PCB version missing holes for some headers.

The N and S version sometimes had extra audio headers, plus one for wiring in physical volume up/down switches (CN6)

If the EPROM is missing then the required card configuration settings can be loaded in DOS using ESSOLO.COM which reads the config from ESSOLO.INI. You can also use the ESSINIT.BAT script written by Kamerat to initialise the card with the settings you require.

With the ES1938S chip itself, it appears that early versions say "ESS" and "Solo-1" above the ES1938S part number. Later versions just have "ESS" in a different font, without Solo-1.
I currently have a card made September 2000 with a later chip and the ESSVOL.EXE program says it cannot find the Audiodrive when I try to set the mixer levels. On a card made August 1999 with earlier chip the ESSVOL.EXE worked fine with the card. Has anyone else found this? Possibly the chip might be reporting REV2 after the PCI PID/VID in Windows 98 setup log.

Last edited by Action Replay on 2022-06-23, 14:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 79, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Action Replay wrote on 2022-06-23, 11:36:

I've done a little exploring of the different versions of the TerraTec ESS Solo 1 cards.

Interesting findings!

I have a TTSOLO1-NL VER 1.2. As you say, it has no wavetable header, but it does have an amplifier and a SB-Link header, and I'm assuming the EEPROM as well (not sure how to check for that). I haven't tested the card much, but it seemed to work fine in DOS and Win9x, with one caveat. I couldn't get the native 16-bit AudioDrive mode to work reliably in games which support that e.g. Tomb Raider and Heroes of Might and Magic 2.

Not sure if the Solo-1 dropped the AudioDrive functionality, or if I failed to configure something correctly. On the other hand, the SBPro mode works fine.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 17 of 79, by Action Replay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-06-23, 12:05:

Not sure if the Solo-1 dropped the AudioDrive functionality, or if I failed to configure something correctly. On the other hand, the SBPro mode works fine.

It is possible that they dropped the Audiodrive functionality. If you boot directly to DOS and run ESSOLO.COM (or load it in autoexec.bat) can you then run ESSVOL.EXE to set the mixer or does it say that it cannot find the Audiodrive?

Next to the text ES1938S on the chip itself is what looks like a 4-digit date code made up of a letter and 3 numbers, eg. H169. I am trying to decode these. What is the date code on your chip if you can see it? Later dates might have dropped Audiodrive support.

Reply 19 of 79, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Action Replay wrote on 2022-06-23, 12:37:

It is possible that they dropped the Audiodrive functionality. If you boot directly to DOS and run ESSOLO.COM (or load it in autoexec.bat) can you then run ESSVOL.EXE to set the mixer or does it say that it cannot find the Audiodrive?

I don't have the card installed in any of my systems at the moment, but I do plan on running some more extensive tests on it soonish. When I do, I'll check that and report back.

Next to the text ES1938S on the chip itself is what looks like a 4-digit date code made up of a letter and 3 numbers, eg. H169. I am trying to decode these. What is the date code on your chip if you can see it? Later dates might have dropped Audiodrive support.

Too bad about the AudioDrive functionality. Have you tested that with an older Solo-1 model and did it work there? As for the date code, I think it's K040. Here's a pic of the card if it helps:

Solo-1.jpg
Filename
Solo-1.jpg
File size
300.47 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

BTW, from what I remember, native ESFM also didn't work in DOS games which support that on my Solo-1 card.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi