VOGONS

First post, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I have Compaq Armada E500 with this sound card running Win 98 SE.

Under drivers the is column ESS DOS Games/FM synthesis

current values there are :
A220
I5
D1

I can get only music in games no sound effects (running from windows, there's no sound in DOS mode) 😢

What should I do ? 😊

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 1 of 5, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After correct drivers installation you should see list of devices like this:

IMG-20191215-110320.jpg

Try to install one of this drivers:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lQJee … dSL?usp=sharing

For native Dos mode you need to load some drivers thru Autoexec.bat and Config.sys:

Autoexec.bat:
LH C:\maestro.com

Config.sys:
REM DEVICEHIGH=C:\aecu.sys

In my personal experience aecu.sys is not necessary and Maestro 2E works fine without SET BLASTER line as well

If you need, I can provide my autoexec.bat and config.sys files

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 2 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MAZter wrote:

In my personal experience aecu.sys is not necessary and Maestro 2E works fine without SET BLASTER line as well

You don't do SET BLASTER for the sound card, but for games, so they know what sound card you have. No matter what sound card you have, you should always have SET BLASTER set correctly, as having a game setup probing IRQs randomly mostly causes the system to freeze.

Reply 3 of 5, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is understandable, but give an example of a game that freezes in the absence of this line?

In my experience, most Dos games work fine without this line.

I choose a sound card through the game setup.

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 5 of 5, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MAZter wrote:
After correct drivers installation you should see list of devices like this: […]
Show full quote

After correct drivers installation you should see list of devices like this:

IMG-20191215-110320.jpg

Try to install one of this drivers:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lQJee … dSL?usp=sharing

For native Dos mode you need to load some drivers thru Autoexec.bat and Config.sys:

Autoexec.bat:
LH C:\maestro.com

Config.sys:
REM DEVICEHIGH=C:\aecu.sys

If you need, I can provide my autoexec.bat and config.sys files

Thanks for your help, however I can't even get FM synthesis in Win 98 SE dos prompt. I can only get music.

Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB