VOGONS

First post, by FSOD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I picked up a japanese SC-55mkII and it came with an AC adapter and every thing. I know I can just plug it in and it would probably in general be ok but I dunno about running 120v through a 100v AC adapter long term. Can I just use an american SC-55 AC adapter instead? I was just thinking that would be more convenient then a step down converter. Back of the unit just says DC in 9v 600mA. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Last edited by FSOD on 2019-12-27, 15:49. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, since the SC-55 only ever see the secondary voltage anyway. But you can also run the Japanese AC adapter with 120v. It's a transformer-based PSU, so it will probably output 10.8v in that case. The SC-55 however won't care, since all the voltage regulation happens inside the unit and that works with anything between 7v and 12v.

Reply 2 of 6, by FSOD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Yes, since the SC-55 only ever see the secondary voltage anyway. But you can also run the Japanese AC adapter with 120v. It's a transformer-based PSU, so it will probably output 10.8v in that case. The SC-55 however won't care, since all the voltage regulation happens inside the unit and that works with anything between 7v and 12v.

oh ok cool. so no real risk of using the japanese AC adapter it came with? I was just gonna buy an additional american one but if there really isnt any risk then I won't bother.

Reply 5 of 6, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I actually use my JPN PSU with my JPN TurboDUO and have for years without any issue. The adapter gets a bit warmer than it likely would have normally and I ended up replacing the VRs inside that console with DC-DC switching converters so heat isn't a problem either. But to answer your question, you can use an US PSU with the JPN SC-55 without issue. In fact I'm using a Sega Genesis model 1 PSU with my JPN Edirol SD-20. I do have the original JPN PSU for it, but knew a spare Genesis adapter would work fine and opted to go that route.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 6 of 6, by FSOD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CrossBow777 wrote:

Yeah I actually use my JPN PSU with my JPN TurboDUO and have for years without any issue. The adapter gets a bit warmer than it likely would have normally and I ended up replacing the VRs inside that console with DC-DC switching converters so heat isn't a problem either. But to answer your question, you can use an US PSU with the JPN SC-55 without issue. In fact I'm using a Sega Genesis model 1 PSU with my JPN Edirol SD-20. I do have the original JPN PSU for it, but knew a spare Genesis adapter would work fine and opted to go that route.

yea I use model 1 genesis plug for my top loading famicom and that works pretty good. I knew in alot of cases it was pretty safe but I'm an idiot and wanted to make sure.