VOGONS

First post, by arnoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

After years on the fence, I finally got myself a Roland CM-32L MIDI module.
I knew it was in working condition, but decided to take it apart and have a look at the board just in case.

While the board looks very clean overall, 5 electrolytic capacitors have some kind of solid substance under them. See pictures below.

pDKY1lL.jpg
Ssi9iCD.jpg
o5P2SrF.jpg

I've never seen capacitor leakage with my own eyes, so I'm not 100% sure if they indeed are leaking, or if this is leftover flux or glue.
There seems to be some oxidation on the solder joins covered by the gunk. On the other hand, the capacitors are not shorted, and the MIDI module works just fine, outputting very clear sound.

Does anyone with more experience than I do have a clue?
Thank you!

Reply 2 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Feel free to clean it off, though. Certain types of glue are known to go conductive as they age.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
arnoo wrote on 2019-12-29, 00:54:

I'll have a go at cleaning it eventually, just for peace of mind.

Normally, that glue is there for a reason and should be left this way. However, in your case it's different. In the first and third picture you can see that it caused quite a bit of rust on many connections, including some vias. This must be fixed, as it's only a matter of time before the unit fails otherwise. Remove the glue, then the caps (replace them with new ones), then apply some rust converter and reflow all connections that had rust on them.

Reply 8 of 12, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The corrosion is a problem when the manufacturer 'costs-down' to using general purpose glues instead of using electronics grade which have a low acid content.
The glue is there to hold the caps (and other parts) in position long enough to get them soldered in at that factory.
That's the ONLY reason it is there.
In very old electronics they would sometimes goop up coils with it to reduce hum but this isn't applicable here.
gdjacobs was correct.
When it gets old it can cause problems, and not just corrosion.
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5466
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php? … light=bad+glues

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 9 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just checked one of my units, I expect the 2nd one will be the same:

crelMlUl.png

gB6sulhl.png

7sSXnjGl.png

anyone has any advice on how this glue can be safely/easily removed? I want to clean it and replace the caps it holds since I doubt the removal process will go well with them

edit:
any idea what kind of capacitors are the 2 green Nippon Chemi-con NX-IV ones?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

allright some good news - I was discussing this with Tiido and he told me this is degraded glue and not corrosion
sure enough I removed some parts at the green caps area and there is no rust or pcb corrosion under the glue, it's the glue that looks like that
the very minor scratches near the via are made while removing the glue - on the pic I have not cleaned anything yet

zrK1yRPl.png

so it seems one can leave it like that or do some glue removal and forget about it

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 12, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've actually had some success removing glue like this just using lots of IPA to soak up around it. It seems to help loosen it from the PCB. I do this when I recap Intellivisions as the two large power filter caps on the power board have some really nasty old glue that just won't let go holding the caps down to the PCB.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 12 of 12, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some times what looks like corrosion turns out to be old soldering resin residue but that doesn't appear to be the case on that one.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.