VOGONS

First post, by PiperTheGreat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

First time posting here, although have often perused this site for advice, but now I need to pick your brains, as I have no idea what to do

I am trying to install drivers for a Sound Blaster Live! on a Windows 98 machine I built. Had several issues along the way, but most seem to be fixed now, but I keep bumping up against the same one now.

Whenever I install the driver, it runs through its process of what I presume to be installing things and actually doing something useful behind the scenes, but after it tells me to restart and the system does, I boot up with absolutely no difference, it's like nothing has happened. All I get in device manager is Creative Multimedia interface.

I got the drivers from the Creative site, and also some drivers that claim to be "Web" drivers. These are even worse.... they claim that there isn't a relevant card installed......

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, system has been wiped and currently, there is nothing on there, I just want to get these working first

I know that the SB0220 is a Dell OEM variant, is it purely that, and is there NO way to get it working on a non Dell system? I hope I don't have to get a new card, had hoped to get this one working

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Steven

Reply 1 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The stock Live 5.1 drivers don't necessarily have the PCI IDs of the 0220 in the INF file. What OS do you need drivers for?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 11, by PiperTheGreat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-01-11, 05:56:

The stock Live 5.1 drivers don't necessarily have the PCI IDs of the 0220 in the INF file. What OS do you need drivers for?

Specifically, I need drivers for Windows 98SE. The Creative site suggested it had them, they’re the ones I tried

kolderman wrote on 2020-01-11, 06:04:

Via chipset motherboard?

Yes! How did you guess? Haha

elmeyer wrote on 2020-01-11, 08:13:

Ah, thank you. Let me get this straight…. The drivers on the creative site, are just a supplement to the original drivers that you MUST use, that came on a disc?

Reply 5 of 11, by elmeyer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The drivers on Creative‘s site are only for retail cards, I believe. They are definitely newer, though. Due to the missing IDs for OEM cards I don’t believe you can use them for an upgrade, however...

Reply 6 of 11, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

> Yes! How did you guess? Haha

Because they are mostly not compatible with the Live! and there is a good chance it won't work regardless of diver version.

I had the same problem, also with Audigy, need to bump up to Audigy2 to get a working build with that chipset.

Reply 8 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, use the Win98 drivers from Vogons. For Win2k or XP, use the following drivers from Dell:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cadhs … driverid=r69382

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 11, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello ... Sry to bring that up again.
I tried to install a sb0220 in Windows XP. I tried different drivers mentioned here on vogons. I also tried to install with the original disc that came with the card... Nothing worked. It always tells me, that there is no soundblaster installed in my system.
When I take a look in the device manager it tells me that there are indeed devices of the card installed. But not the audio device.
Shall I just sell this card ... I don't want to... I really want to try it. But how... If drivers are not installing because Installation program can't find the card. Any help is appreciated...

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 11 of 11, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello...
I really found a way... 😀
Just in case someone is in search for working windows XP driver that don't drive you crazy - this is what you are searching for:
https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php … driverid=487162

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti