VOGONS

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been trying to get my Turtle Beach MultiSound Classic up and running and learned that the driver install kept crashing because of how the card maps RAM. According to the manual I have, "it maps a 32K window of shared RAM into $D000." Although you can change this setting in the Windows driver, Windows kept crashing, requiring a hard reboot.

After I rem'ed out the DEVICE=EMM386.EXE NOEMS line in my CONFIG.SYS, I could access the driver panel.

IMG_8509.jpg
Filename
IMG_8509.jpg
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

But if I do use EMM386, Windows crashes immediately after the splash screen. I don't use Windows 3.1 hardly at all, but it seems like I would want to use EMM386, no?

I tried all the different memory locations in the driver, but none of them work when using EMM386.

I made some progress when I tried to exclude the memory range at the command line using EMM386 X=D000. But I need to account for the 32K window, so I don't know what the end of the range is. I tried a bunch of different hexadecimal values, but I got bad parameter errors.

Any ideas what the end of the range might be? (X=D000-????).

Reply 1 of 6, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. You do not need EMM386 loaded to run Win3.1(1). Especially not in enhanced mode.
2. ???? = D800 (You need to set segment addresses in X parameter but the starting physical address is actually D0000. 32K in decimal = 0x8000 in hexadecimal. 0xD0000 + 0x8000 = 0xD8000. So the required segment that defines the end of your 32K region is 0xD800.)

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 2 of 6, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote on 2020-01-19, 15:58:

1. You do not need EMM386 loaded to run Win3.1(1). Especially not in enhanced mode.
2. ???? = D800 (You need to set segment addresses in X parameter but the starting physical address is actually D0000. 32K in decimal = 0x8000 in hexadecimal. 0xD0000 + 0x8000 = 0xD8000. So the required segment that defines the end of your 32K region is 0xD800.)

Thank you so much. It's good to know that I don't need EMM386 for 3.1 Enhanced mode. Either way, D800 works perfectly.

Reply 3 of 6, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Region of 32K ends at D7FF. D800 is the first byte of next 32K region.

On some systems the Multisound drivers won't work if you don't turn on 8-bit memory transferring mode. In Windows 3.1 it is turned on in Multisound's driver properties. In DOS, you have to run this:

MSNDDIAG.EXE /m /8

AFAIK, DOS application PRESETS.EXE loads the patches into Proteus incorrectly. Thus, you have to run Windows 3.1, wait for Multisound driver to load all the patches to Proteus, then exit Windows and only then you can use your Multisound in DOS without hearing piano instead of any drums. This was my experience, perhaps yours will be different.

Last edited by bristlehog on 2020-01-20, 04:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 4 of 6, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote on 2020-01-19, 18:36:
Region of 32K ends at D7FF. D800 is the first byte of next 32K region. […]
Show full quote

Region of 32K ends at D7FF. D800 is the first byte of next 32K region.

On some systems the Multisound drivers won't work if you don't turn on 8-bit memory transferring mode. In Windows 3.1 it is turned on in Multisound's driver properties. In DOS, you have to run this:

MSNDDIAG.EXE /m /8

AFAIK, DOS application PRESET.EXE loads the patches into Proteus incorrectly. Thus, you have to run Windows 3.1, wait for Multisound driver to load all the patches to Proteus, then exit Windows and only then you can use your Multisound in DOS without hearing piano instead of any drums. This was my experience, perhaps yours will be different.

Thanks, bristlehog. Mine seems to work without turning on 8-bit memory mode, although I did try that before getting the right memory range.

I haven't used this card with DOS at all. I was under the impression that it cannot be used with DOS games, save a small handful that support the card natively. When you mention using the card in DOS, do you mean for playing back .mid files or playing games?

Reply 5 of 6, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote on 2020-01-19, 22:40:

I haven't used this card with DOS at all. I was under the impression that it cannot be used with DOS games, save a small handful that support the card natively. When you mention using the card in DOS, do you mean for playing back .mid files or playing games?

The card can be used in DOS to play .mid files (MPLAY), .mid or .xmi files (PX Player), .mod files (MODPLAY from DMKIT150 - this only plays in 8 bit 11khz mono), or games that use DIGPAK/MIDPAK or AIL driver systems.

Those are plenty of games. You're right that only few support Multisound out of the box, but who stops us from shoving the right driver into the game's folder and pretending it always was this way?

I think there are 150-200 games that use AIL and DIGPAK/MIDPAK. I listed ones known to me here and there.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 6 of 6, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote on 2020-01-20, 06:22:

The card can be used in DOS to play .mid files (MPLAY), .mid or .xmi files (PX Player), .mod files (MODPLAY from DMKIT150 - this only plays in 8 bit 11khz mono), or games that use DIGPAK/MIDPAK or AIL driver systems.

Those are plenty of games. You're right that only few support Multisound out of the box, but who stops us from shoving the right driver into the game's folder and pretending it always was this way?

I think there are 150-200 games that use AIL and DIGPAK/MIDPAK. I listed ones known to me here and there.

Thank you! Looking forward to diving in. I also saw an old Sierra manual that looked quite generic but that I think came from Space Quest IV. It mentions support for the MultiSound.

I created a new MultiSound thread to post photos, manuals, drivers, and applications that I recently acquired: The Turtle Beach MultiSound Classic Thread