VOGONS

First post, by joeyjojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

got a line on a good price for a ct2890, plan on putting it in a gateway 2000 p75. the guy has other sound blaster cards. the sb value and ct2230 and a ct1300? what do u think would be the best choice.

Reply 1 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The CT1300 isn't an SB16, it isn't even a Sound Blaster - it's the Game Blaster with Creative Music System. If you can get that for a good price, do - it's rare, collectible and sounds pretty unique. Totally unsuited for a P75 though, this belongs in a 286 or 386.

As for two of the others see:
download/file.php?id=74462&mode=view

CT2890 = Vibra, OPL3, totally messed up MIDI - but low noise..
CT2230 = SB16, OPL3, reasonable MIDI for an SB16, and noise depends on the CT1703 revision.

As for the "SB Value" - that could be anything. Find the CTxxxx model number.

The CT2230 is one of the better SB16 cards, but still not great. What OS do you intend to run on the system?

Reply 2 of 7, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All three are nice cards. SB16 Value is probably CT2770: it has the CT1747, just like CT2230. So it's more or less similar, just doesn't have a Waveblaster header. I'd get all of them, depending on the price.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jheronimus wrote on 2020-01-23, 20:05:

All three are nice cards. SB16 Value is probably CT2770: it has the CT1747, just like CT2230. So it's more or less similar, just doesn't have a Waveblaster header. I'd get all of them, depending on the price.

The CT2770 comes in a number of different versions, though. Most important is to identify the revision of CT1745 chip. I have some that are low noise and some that are screechers.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 7, by Captain Catnip

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I hope you don't mind me adding to your post, but I didn't want to copy cour thread for asking my own similar question.
From what I gathered from a list with issues and versions of the SB16 the CT2290 should be a decent one. Is that correct?

Reply 6 of 7, by Burrito78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Captain Catnip wrote on 2020-01-24, 07:49:

I hope you don't mind me adding to your post, but I didn't want to copy cour thread for asking my own similar question.
From what I gathered from a list with issues and versions of the SB16 the CT2290 should be a decent one. Is that correct?

Yes, decent for a DOS soundcard and "best of the crop" compared to the other Creative Labs offerings... But keep in mind checking the DAC to see that a CT1703-TBS or CT1703-A are used so you don't have to worry about Self-Noise.

Sound Blaster: From best to worst
Member of DOSBox Staging

Reply 7 of 7, by Captain Catnip

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Yes, decent for a DOS soundcard and "best of the crop" compared to the other Creative Labs offerings... But keep in mind checking the DAC to see that a CT1703-TBS or CT1703-A are used so you don't have to worry about Self-Noise.

Great! That's what I thought it would be, when I compared the versions. Looked out for the DAC when I got it and it is indeed a CT1703-TBS!