VOGONS

First post, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

A friend did a Video to show what the IBM 5150 can do in front of an Amiga 500, With My Mod Player.

Of course, the Amiga Wins, but this is fun to compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVmPVR1Xj9Y

It is in french.

Last edited by FreddyV on 2020-01-27, 15:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 12, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FreddyV wrote on 2020-01-26, 15:45:

A fiend did a Video to show what the IBM 5150 can do in front of an Amiga 500

Nice typo by the way, I think many would agree that one needs to be a true fiend to compare 5150 to Amiga 500...

I watched some fragments but understood next to nothing. In what sense does Amiga win? Does it provide higher quality mixing?

Last edited by bristlehog on 2020-01-27, 12:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 2 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think many would agree that one needs to be a true fiend to compare 5150 to Amiga 500...

Absolute madlad!

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FreddyV wrote on 2020-01-26, 15:45:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

A fiend did a Video to show what the IBM 5150 can do in front of an Amiga 500, With My Mod Player.

Of course, the Amiga Wins, but this is fun to compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVmPVR1Xj9Y

It is in french.

That's like pitting all 140lbs of me against Tyson in a ring back in his day.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 12, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote on 2020-01-27, 11:52:

Nice typo by the way, I think many would agree that one needs to be a true fiend to compare 5150 to Amiga 500...

I watched some fragments but understood next to nothing. In what sense does Amiga win? Does it provide higher quality mixing?

I did not know what fiend mean before you tell this 😀

Of course Amiga mixing is better, the goal was to test my player in a 5150 and he had the idea to do it with the Amiga next to it.

Reply 5 of 12, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FreddyV wrote on 2020-01-27, 15:59:

Of course Amiga mixing is better

But better in what way? Does it support higher mixing rate, or involves some interpolation, or something else?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 8 of 12, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote on 2020-01-27, 18:29:
FreddyV wrote on 2020-01-27, 15:59:

Of course Amiga mixing is better

But better in what way? Does it support higher mixing rate, or involves some interpolation, or something else?

Amiga Paula is stereo and play at 28KHz. With My Software it is playing in Mono at around 15KHz on the 5150.

The 4 Channels are mixed by the paula chip, where I mix the sound with the 8088 on the 5150.

To compare the preformances, The Amiga has a 16/32 Bit CPU at 8MHz and the sound is mixed by the Paula Chip.
The 5150 has a 8/16 Bit CPU at 4.77MHz

Reply 9 of 12, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, A500 was 6 years later than IBM5150, and - contrary to the IBM - the Amiga was designed with multimedia in mind.
Still, even the earliest 5150 is modular, ie. easily expandable - you know about the GUS option...

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 10 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^There's also the possibility of using a Stereo-on-1 device at the parallel port, as well. 😉
(Though I got what you meant to say. The GUS can store samples & perform mixing on its own, thus lowering CPU load.)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 12, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Covox is supported, but it is really slow as we need to use an interrupt for each byte send to the DAC, instead of DMA Cycles for the Sound Blaster.
(Around 6KHz on the 5150)
The GUS is surely working on the 5150, we will probably test. But in this case, it is a mix of 1981 and 1993 hardware.

Reply 12 of 12, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW, the IBM5150 with those huge columns reminded me about this picture:

logo.png
Filename
logo.png
File size
39.46 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

from this page - https://www.crossfire-designs.de/?lang=en&wha … icle=soundcards

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.