VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, I have a AST Bravo 486/33 computer that I need help with setting up the CDROM drive.
It has a Media Vision PAS16 sound card with a controller for a 2x Sony CDROM drive.
That’s the 34-pin connector.
Sony CDU-33A

I have the sound card setup and working fine.
I have installed the Sony 2x CDROM driver but it does not detect the Sony CDROM drive.

Question: Is there some special setup I need for the driver to work with this Media Vision sound card ?

The Media Vision driver I am using only has drivers for SCSI and Standard IDE connector.
It does not have the drivers for the Sony 2x CDROM drive.

Reply 1 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Curious what exact model is your MV PAS16? The PAS Plus had Sony interface and one model of PAS16 iirc. The Sony driver is sony_pfm.sys but think it only supported Sony CDU-535, not sure if it supports the CDU-33A. The Sony driver is in this PAS driver package zip: http://files.mpoli.fi/unpacked/hardware/sound … s/pasutl20.zip/

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2020-01-30, 03:50:

Curious what exact model is your MV PAS16? The PAS Plus had Sony interface and one model of PAS16 iirc. The Sony driver is sony_pfm.sys but think it only supported Sony CDU-535, not sure if it supports the CDU-33A. The Sony driver is in this PAS driver package zip: http://files.mpoli.fi/unpacked/hardware/sound … s/pasutl20.zip/

Media Vision PAS16SL ( sound card )
Sony CDU-31A-02 ( CD Drive )

Do you know what drivers I need ?
What software package do I need ?
What entries in Autoexec.bat and Config.sys ?

I need this for DOS/Win 3.11

Reply 3 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because your sound is working OK, have you tried sony_pfm.sys ? It may or may not work depending on the exact MV card model number (not name). It is used like any other cdrom driver in config.sys similar to an IDE cdrom driver but must be loaded after the mv sound.sys driver. Mscdex must be loaded in auto bat using same /d:mvcd001 or same as what is in the config.sys. See attached zip for the driver and text file.

Attachments

• Filename
    Sony_pfm.zip
    File size
    7.38 KiB
    Downloads
    55 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2020-01-30, 04:41:

Because your sound is working OK, have you tried sony_pfm.sys ? It may or may not work depending on the exact MV card model number (not name). It is used like any other cdrom driver in config.sys similar to an IDE cdrom driver but must be loaded after the mv sound.sys driver. Mscdex must be loaded in auto bat using same /d:mvcd001 or same as what is in the config.sys. See attached zip for the driver and text file.

Well, There appear to be at least 3 CDROM drivers.

SLCD.SYS
TSLCD.SYS
SONY_PFM.SYS

Which do you think I should use ?
( TSLCD.SYS ) comes with the PAS16 install package.

Reply 5 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-01-30, 16:03:
Well, There appear to be at least 3 CDROM drivers. […]
Show full quote

Well, There appear to be at least 3 CDROM drivers.

SLCD.SYS
TSLCD.SYS
SONY_PFM.SYS

Which do you think I should use ?
( TSLCD.SYS ) comes with the PAS16 install package.

I would try the SLCD.SYS first as it actually the driver listed in the archive support list for Sony CDU-33A .
The TSLCD.SYS is for SCSI only.
Here is the original DOS cdrom install disk: ftp://retronn.de/driver/Sony_CDU33A/disk1/DOS/
here is the readme.txt: ftp://retronn.de/driver/Sony_CDU33A/README.TXT

The config.sys line should be like : device=slcd.sys /B:340 /d:mscd001 /v /c
Or whatever the Setup comes up with. If it cannot find the CDROM try: device=slcd.sys /B:xxx /d:mscd001 /v /c where xxx is one of: 230, 240, 260, 280, 340. Do not try 220, 300 or 330 as that could conflict with the sound card ports. Yes you may have to manually set the PORT since the card probably does not have jumpers to set the cdrom port or does it ? They are not the same as the base sound cards port address and would be separate jumpers.

Reply 6 of 9, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some random info I could find digging around in the PAS SDK files:

// Each product will some/all of of these features
#define bMVSCSI 0x0008 // 0000000000001000b SCSI interface
#define bMVENHSCSI 0x0010 // 0000000000010000b Enhanced SCSI interface
#define bMVSONY 0x0020 // 0000000000100000b Sony 535 interface
// CDPC feature list
#define PRODUCT_CDPC bMV101+ \
bMVSONY+ \
#if PROAS100 // Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum Orig
#define HWREVISION 0x00 // the H/W revision #
#endif
#if PROAS200 // Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum Plus
#define HWREVISION 0x01 // the H/W revision #
#endif
#if PROAS300 // Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum 16
#endif
#if CDPC // Media Vision CDPC
#endif

Unfortunately, while one of the header files does have some commentary on the relocatable address of the card, it does not provide offsets for the various interfaces on it. It seems that the Sony interface was used on a "CDPC" variant of the PAS16. Not sure if that's at all helpful.

Oh, and TSLCD.SYS is the Trantor SCSI CD driver. It won't help you here, AFAIK. In case this catches any Google hits, I had to use the Trantor SCSI Works package to get additional SCSI support to work for other SCSI devices, like a ZIP drive. The MVSOUND.SYS driver does not provide an ASPI interface, so the Adaptec ASPIDISK.SYS (etc.) will not load.

Reply 7 of 9, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

nice card, can you post some pictures?

that pack must have had come from one of those media vision fusion cd16 packs

here are some drivers for cdrom http://ftp.mpoli.fi/pub/hardware/CDROM/OTHER/

whats the difference between model cdu 33A and 31A ?

Reply 8 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SETBLASTER wrote on 2021-04-08, 22:30:

whats the difference between model cdu 33A and 31A ?

If my memory serves me right, the 33A is double speed and the 31A single speed 😀

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 9 of 9, by mitchkramez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With TopTek Golden Sound Card Pro Deluxe, depending on jumper J3, the soundcard would either be 220 and the cd 320, or the soundcard 240 and cd drive 340.

Thanks to this post and some more troubleshooting I finally have a working CDU33A 😀 Thanks All!