VOGONS

First post, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have two Ymf718 cards and one 719 who work fine in windows.

When I leave windows into DOS mode, I get a wss I/0 error. Already googled this forum, but there was never a solution in the other topic.

How can I make this card work in DOS?

Attachments

Last edited by Tiemen on 2020-02-02, 15:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote on 2020-02-02, 07:30:

You can try using Tiido's SETYMF utility for setting up the card in DOS.

Tried your program.

I can't get the sound fx working in DOS. Music works fine.

The game I'm testing with is Duke nukem 3d. I tried every setting.

Do you maybe have a clue where I'm going wrong?

Reply 3 of 9, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do sound tests work in SETYMF ? If there is sound but IRQ count stays zero you likely have an IRQ conflict but if no sound happens at all then the problem is DMA related if there are no other error messages shown during program startup. Are there error messages shown by SETYMF ?

You definitely should reserve IRQ5 and DMA1 and perhaps 3 in PnP settings in BIOS so that things wouldn't be assigned to some PCI card or another thing, and if there's some legacy audio settings you should turn all off also since they will get in the way. What hardware are you using anyway ?

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 9, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2020-02-02, 14:36:

Do sound tests work in SETYMF ? If there is sound but IRQ count stays zero you likely have an IRQ conflict but if no sound happens at all then the problem is DMA related if there are no other error messages shown during program startup. Are there error messages shown by SETYMF ?

You definitely should reserve IRQ5 and DMA1 and perhaps 3 in PnP settings in BIOS so that things wouldn't be assigned to some PCI card or another thing, and if there's some legacy audio settings you should turn all off also since they will get in the way. What hardware are you using anyway ?

Hey, it's the maker himself 🙂 thanks for answering.

All the sound tests work, and I have indeed conflicting irq's. I've been messing with the bios and irq's for over 2 hours now, and I finally decided to reinstall windows 98 (for the 12th time) 😉

My system:

Tualatin 1400s pentium 3 1.4
512 mb ram
500 gb ssd
Voodoo5 5500
Voodoo2 12 mb (out right now to avoid conflicts)
Audigy 2 Zs (out right now to avoid conflicts)
Ymf718 Isa with dreamblaster s2 Isa
Realtek net work card (out to avoid conflicts)

Does setblaster has to correspond with the settings in win98? It's so confusing. In the Starting up process it says irq 11 dma 0,0, in windows it says irq 5, dma 3, dma 1.

Thanks for helping 🙂

Reply 5 of 9, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

BIOS startup shows assignments given by the BIOS, SETYMF will override those with whatever you have chosen and can also update SET BLASTER if you make it (it is an option in the program).

Try setting PnP OS installed to YES in the BIOS, I have had to do this on one motherboard to get the card work.

Reply 6 of 9, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2020-02-02, 16:18:

BIOS startup shows assignments given by the BIOS, SETYMF will override those with whatever you have chosen and can also update SET BLASTER if you make it (it is an option in the program).

Try setting PnP OS installed to YES in the BIOS, I have had to do this on one motherboard to get the card work.

All tests work, and I still can't make it to work. Duke nukem says I have a conflicting irq, but I don't know what. I disabled everything in the BIOS I don't need.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 9, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got it working 😀

After assigning it in the BIOS there were probably no conflicts anymore. With the settings in the picture I got it working.

Thank you so much 🙂

And Kamerat, thank you for recommending this driver 🙂

Attachments

Reply 9 of 9, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's great, enjoy the game ~