VOGONS

First post, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the title says it all.

I have a dreamblaster S2 for general midi. Now, I want to add some mt-32 without spending hundreds of dollars. I'm trying to find out if that is possible.

Is it possible to run MUNT (or other MT-32 emulation) in DOS/Windows 98? If so, how?

I prefer to do it without using DOSBox. If there is no other option, I will accept DOSBox.

My system:

Tualatin 1400S Pentium 3 1.4 Ghz
512 MB Ram
Voodoo5 5500
Voodoo2 12 Mb
Audigy 2 ZS
Yamaha YMF718/719 with Dreamblaster S2
500 GB SSD
Windows 98/XP Dual boot

Thanks for your answers 😀

Reply 1 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not exactly what you're looking for, but this might interest you as well. Phil has an interesting video where he sets up a thin client to run MT-32 emulation and then connects his retro PC to it using an USB midi interface. Some people here on the forum seem to be using a Raspberry Pi to emulate the MT-32 which might be an even cheaper solution.

I haven't personally tried either of these methods mind you, I just came across them while researching other things.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 9, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-02-03, 15:15:

Not exactly what you're looking for, but this might interest you as well. Phil has an interesting video where he sets up a thin client to run MT-32 emulation and then connects his retro PC to it using an USB midi interface. Some people here on the forum seem to be using a Raspberry Pi to emulate the MT-32 which might be an even cheaper solution.

I haven't personally tried either of these methods mind you, I just came across them while researching other things.

Thank you, but I have already watched a lot of Phil's video's regarding this kind of stuff. Also the one with the tablet 😀

I want to look first if I can emulate it without using external hardware 😀

Reply 3 of 9, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiemen wrote on 2020-02-03, 14:53:

Is it possible to run MUNT (or other MT-32 emulation) in DOS/Windows 98? If so, how?

Falcosoft's Midi Player with the Munt VSTi works under Windows 98SE. Use MIDI Yoke as a bridge so you can access it from the Windows MIDI mapper.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 9, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote on 2020-02-03, 17:26:
Tiemen wrote on 2020-02-03, 14:53:

Falcosoft's Midi Player with the Munt VSTi works under Windows 98SE. Use MIDI Yoke as a bridge so you can access it from the Windows MIDI mapper.

In this video Phil uses that Falco tool, but he uses an external tablet to go with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSk9S1bkRS8

Why does he uses the tablet? Do you need the tablet?

(Or am I wrong and am I mistaken it for another Falco tool?)

Reply 5 of 9, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiemen wrote on 2020-02-03, 18:13:
In this video Phil uses that Falco tool, but he uses an external tablet to go with that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSk9S […]
Show full quote

In this video Phil uses that Falco tool, but he uses an external tablet to go with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSk9S1bkRS8

Why does he uses the tablet? Do you need the tablet?

(Or am I wrong and am I mistaken it for another Falco tool?)

Munt requires a "powerful" CPU, I'll guess Pentium III 800 or faster depending on your settings, so using a 486 or Pentium you can forget about it. You can't run Sound Blaster emulation at the same time as Munt with only one sound card using VxD drivers. You need some way to emulate the MPU-401 interface, like VDMSound, or two MIDI interfaces connected together where at least one of them are MPU-401 compatible.

You might want to try the SAVIHost instead of Midi Player for less overhead while hosting the Munt VSTi.

Also one of the biggest drawbacks is that you need to run the games from within Windows, many prefer to run them under pure DOS and some games refuses to run under Windows.

YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 9, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-03, 19:56:

Well, he has two sound cards and his CPU is also fast enough. 😀

True, he can also connect the MIDI out of Yamaha (MPU-401 compatible) to the MIDI in of the Audigy, so no need for VDMSound and MIDI Yoke. 😉

Edit: Unfortunately this leaves out games that needs an intelligent mode capable MPU-401 interface. 🙁

YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi! You could also use a Raspberry Pi 2 or compatible SBC - Emulating MT-32 on an RPi2
Some people here even spent some notable amount of time in creating an MT-32 daugherboard this way..

Edit: Just noticed that Joseph_Joestar already mentioned that before. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//