VOGONS

First post, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i recently purchased this great looking Aztech card.

https://ibb.co/8jzFBFp

Unfortunately cant get it working, tried different Aztech drivers.
Googled FCC id: i38-mmsn819 isnt helping much either.

Reply 1 of 16, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

interesting card, seems to be meant to interface with some sort of external I/O box? google said something about a CD-Rom unit... haven't seen that one before, I'd like to know more too ^^

ftp://ftp.aztech.com/SUPPORT/DOWNLOAD/sg/index.txt

I'd try the waverider drivers, as they have the same chipsets and wavetable

Reply 2 of 16, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2020-02-11, 14:21:

google said something about a CD-Rom unit... haven't seen that one before, I'd like to know more too ^^

Goldstar interface. I have an external CD-ROM drive with that interface (but no interface card...).

Reply 3 of 16, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quite an interesting Aztech card.
I'm wondering whether the jack is a speaker/line out jack or an input jack (line in/mic in).
I agree with imi. Try the drivers for I38-MMSN826. Hopefully the jack is a line out jack which you can then connect to your speakers.

Reply 4 of 16, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jesolo wrote on 2020-02-11, 16:12:

I'm wondering whether the jack is a speaker/line out jack or an input jack (line in/mic in).
I agree with imi. Try the drivers for I38-MMSN826. Hopefully the jack is a line out jack which you can then connect to your speakers.

MMSN826 matches the AZT2316 and the ICS MIDI, but what about that AZT2302 - never seen that one before...?

Reply 5 of 16, by daikatana_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this on some Russian forum. This is supposed to be matching ID for the card: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1309&d … 9,4052082&hl=ru

I don't speak Russian, so I had to trust Google Translate 😀

And these should be the drivers for the Explorer: https://www.phantom.sannata.org/download/file … a246125327061ca

Game MIDI soundtracks

Retro games and HW reviews

Reply 7 of 16, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks everybody, yes it seems to be Aztech Explorer. I listened some samples of Waverider 32 (same wavetable chip), it imho very nice sounding card. Unfortunately mine seems to be dead, no driver or software can see the card 🙁
This card has seen some bad days, few capacitors were bent down, maybe this can be the problem?

Reply 9 of 16, by daikatana_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, if they are still soldered down to the board and their top is perfectly flat and not swollen, they should be OK.

Game MIDI soundtracks

Retro games and HW reviews

Reply 10 of 16, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2020-02-11, 16:29:
jesolo wrote on 2020-02-11, 16:12:

MMSN826 matches the AZT2316 and the ICS MIDI, but what about that AZT2302 - never seen that one before...?

Indeed - I have pictures of a a number of different Aztech sound cards and none of them has that AZT2302 chipset.
However, the ICS Wavefront & WaveROM chips are the same as that of the Waverider 32+ (I38-MMSN826).

Reply 11 of 16, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everybody. Sorry for reviving the thread but I would like to contribute to the topic. I've obtained the same card as the OP and have been tinkering with it for few hours. Had bad luck getting any drivers working but in the end was successful. The card is a PnP version of the Waverider 32+, probably thanks to the AZT2302 chip (similarily like ES928 is for non-PnP ESS cards). For disk images attached in the earlier post, you have to install Windows 3.1 to use them. But first you need to install Plug and Play Configuration Software utility in aztpnp.zip archive (found it somewhere on the Aztech FTP mirror). Then you can use the setup for the card itself.
I have prepared an archive with everything unpacked and with properly set autoexec.bat and config.sys files, if you don't want to use Windows to use the card in DOS. Probably would be good idea to put it into the Vogons Drivers site? After successfull install, the card more or less behave the same as Waverider 32+, meaning you have to use TSR to be able to use wavetable functionality. IRQ and DMA is probably being configured through GALAXY variable in autoexec.bat, when the driver is loaded through config.sys. All my testing has been done with the jumper JMPCFG set to EEPROM option.

Attachments

• Filename
    AZTPNP.ZIP
    File size
    770.89 KiB
    Downloads
    48 downloads
    File comment
    PnP configuration manager. Already included in the other archive.
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    explorer_unpacked.zip
    File size
    3.25 MiB
    Downloads
    50 downloads
    File comment
    Unpacked drivers for use in DOS. Includes files from AZTPNP.ZIP.
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 15 of 16, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Paar wrote on 2022-06-18, 20:16:

Hi everybody. Sorry for reviving the thread but I would like to contribute to the topic.

No-no, thanks for reviving the thread. The instrument samples on this cards ROM are very well picked and game music with this card is definetly on top 5 on my list.

I got mine working but the overall sound quality was poor (lots of noise) and sound level on maximum was still quite low (for headphones at least) so i put this card on storage to wait better days 😀
How was your experience with this card?

Reply 16 of 16, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apart from the difficulties getting the card to work, I think it sounds alright. The PCM/FM volume ration is nicely balanced (for games that ignore mixer settings), even though the lack of low pass filter is noticable in some old games that use low quality sound samples and could detract someone. The wavetable part sounds pretty ok, but there is one percussion sound that annoys me indefinitely and at least for me, ruins songs that use it (you can hear it clearly in Doom 2 MAP01 or stadium level in Duke 3D). I don't know what happened there, why ICS decided to use that sample when all other samples are good.
Aztech Waverider 32+ and in extension Explorer I cards have problems with some games and need patches, if I recall correctly. That's slightly annoying too.
All in all, tt's more of collector's card than real use card.