VOGONS

First post, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a socket 3 running a 5x86 P90 at 160mhz, 128mb ram, 256kb cache. Even before all of those upgrades when it was a 486/DX2/80 the sound stutters on bootup. I figure it's something loading, but I'm not sure what. Only my Matrox 8mb video card has a process in the background coming on when the unit boots up, and I've used other cards prior to that one, and it still did it. It's a minor gripe, otherwise the system is rock solid, just would like to maybe figure it out and stop it from happening. Mostly sick of the wife and kids asking what's wrong with it every time I turn it on.

Thanks in advance for any input.

TW

Reply 2 of 21, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I second that. Experienced similar behaviour with Windows 98 Second-Hand Edition.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 21, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HDD DMA has fixed such a problem in all cases I have experienced this.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 8 of 21, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got Win95 C. The option doesn't seem to be there under system / hard drive. Does that mean my Quantum drive doesn't support it, or that the OS doesn't have the option? I thought B had the option default off, but could be turned on, but can't seem to find anything on C.

Thanks for any info!
TW

Reply 9 of 21, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Disable welcome sound 😉 I used to do this back then. Now I don't have any stuttering in Win95B and 5x86-133, 8MB, CT1740, CF card for HDD.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 10 of 21, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TimWolf wrote on 2020-02-25, 14:11:

I've got Win95 C. The option doesn't seem to be there under system / hard drive. Does that mean my Quantum drive doesn't support it, or that the OS doesn't have the option? I thought B had the option default off, but could be turned on, but can't seem to find anything on C.

Thanks for any info!
TW

I'm sorry, I simply don't know. 🙁 By the end of the 90s, I started using Win98SE and never looked back to Win95.
Remember, there was in general no retro feeling for Win95 yet and 98 was a big bugfix pack.
So 95 was considered simply was it was. An unstable, outdated wannabe OS.

Edit: Good news! 😀 It seems the Quantum Big Foot series does support DMA (Multi-Word DMA, Mode 2)..
https://www.universaldatasystems.org/shop/pro … -gb-hard-drive/

Edit: I've searched for answers and found some other Vogons thread that may help.
ATA DMA modes

Edit: I hope I wasn't too offensive. But from my experience, both Win95 and Linux used to be the #1 90s OSes for scrap yard/roadside find PCs. 😁

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-02-25, 17:59. Edited 1 time in total.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 21, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-02-25, 14:38:
I'm sorry, I simply don't know. :sad: By the end of the 90s, I started using Win98SE and never looked back to Win95. Remember, […]
Show full quote
TimWolf wrote on 2020-02-25, 14:11:

Thanks for any info!
TW

I'm sorry, I simply don't know. 🙁 By the end of the 90s, I started using Win98SE and never looked back to Win95.
Remember, there was in general no retro feeling for Win95 yet and 98 was a big bugfix pack.
So 95 was considered simply was it was. An unstable, outdated wannabe OS.

Edit: Good news! 😀 It seems the Quantum Big Foot series does support DMA (Multi-Word DMA, Mode 2)..
https://www.universaldatasystems.org/shop/pro … -gb-hard-drive/

Edit: I've searched for answers and found some other Vogons thread that may help.
ATA DMA modes

Edit: I hope I wasn't too offensive. But from my experience, both Win95 and Linux used to be the #1 90s OSes for scrap yard/roadside find PCs. 😁

No, not at all. I have other computers with 98, 98SE, 98SE Plus, etc... I had 95 on my 486, and this one is just the most tricked out machine I could dream of in the 90s, before I got a Pentium so here it is.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm trying a few now. 😀

Reply 13 of 21, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if I've got Daemon tools mounting a large ISO from the USB hdd I use (via a usb 2.0 NEC pci card) then it will play the noise in W98se in a choppy manner. If i dont have the hdd plugged in and daemon tools not mounted then it will play smoothly.

The system is an MVP3+ chipset, k6-2+ 550, 128mb PC133, Riva 128. nusb3.3 (or 3.6 i cant recall)

Reply 14 of 21, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The DMA option appeared in 95B, IIRC. At any rate, it does not exist in 95 retail, and does exist in 95C. I suspect this will help if not solve the problem. Disk access on my 95A box cripples the box. E.g., during heavy I/O like boot-up, or software installation, or copying large files, pretty much nothing responds to clicks for a few seconds.

If you go to DM, get properties on your hard drive, do you not have the DMA option at all, or is it grayed out? It will be unavailable (grayed out) if the IDE driver doesn't support DMA. Might just be that you need to install your chipset (or I/O card, if applicable) drivers if that's the case.

Reply 15 of 21, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SirNickity wrote on 2020-02-26, 21:50:

The DMA option appeared in 95B, IIRC. At any rate, it does not exist in 95 retail, and does exist in 95C. I suspect this will help if not solve the problem. Disk access on my 95A box cripples the box. E.g., during heavy I/O like boot-up, or software installation, or copying large files, pretty much nothing responds to clicks for a few seconds.

If you go to DM, get properties on your hard drive, do you not have the DMA option at all, or is it grayed out? It will be unavailable (grayed out) if the IDE driver doesn't support DMA. Might just be that you need to install your chipset (or I/O card, if applicable) drivers if that's the case.

Not there at all under my 95C. I need to try mode 2 and see what happens. Wasn't able to find the MCI suggestion either.

Thanks all.

Reply 16 of 21, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TimWolf wrote:

Wasn't able to find the MCI suggestion either.

Control Panel > Multimedia > Advanced [tab] > Media Control Devices > Wave Audio Device (Media Control) > Properties [button] > Settings [button]

The default setting is 4 seconds. Something between that, and the maximum of 9 seconds, ought to solve the problem.

Reply 17 of 21, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote on 2020-02-27, 16:13:
TimWolf wrote:

Wasn't able to find the MCI suggestion either.

Control Panel > Multimedia > Advanced [tab] > Media Control Devices > Wave Audio Device (Media Control) > Properties [button] > Settings [button]

The default setting is 4 seconds. Something between that, and the maximum of 9 seconds, ought to solve the problem.

Found and set to 9. Also running in mode 2 on the HDD, no change.

Reply 19 of 21, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cloudschatze wrote on 2020-03-02, 17:50:

What is playing as the startup sound? I'd assumed it was the default, but perhaps it's not, and is something of a longer duration?

I've got no real Win95 hardware for testing at hand, but could it be that something is interrupting during start-up also ? 😐
When I boot my somewhat buggy, Win Me laptop, it does wildy play with serial and parallel ports for example (related to Plug&Play?).
Anyway, I just wonder what other reasons could possibly cause TimWolf's PC to stutter/jitter during startup.

//My video channel//