VOGONS

First post, by NORTHERN WALLY

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Just curious if someone have a smart setup for combining sound modules. I have two computer with AWE64 GOLD. Each soundcard is connected to each of their own midi module, MT-32 and SC-55.

Is there any possibility to daisychain this setup with a kind of a simple switch? Or do I have to reconnect every cable everyone I want to switch soundmodule?

I would love to connect both computers through a midi splitter or something. So I could then just switch between which one of the soundmodules I want to use.

Reply 1 of 5, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

midi switch box. look up roalnd mpu104, mpu105 (input+output selectors), or something like midipatchbay (look up motu 8x8 / midi express).

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 3 of 5, by Wanderer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello NORTHERN WALLY.
I solved a similar issue by merging MIDI signals together with M-Audio Midisport 2x2 in standalone mode.

Quote from the user guide:

In Merge Mode, MIDISPORT functions as a standalone device (i.e. it does not operate as an interface to a computer). All MIDI dat […]
Show full quote

In Merge Mode, MIDISPORT functions as a standalone device (i.e. it does not operate as an interface to a computer). All MIDI data
from the In A and In B ports is combined (merged), and this merged stream is output identically on both the Out A and Out B port.
In this scenario, power must be provided by an optional USB-type external power supply, and the MIDI Thru - USB/Merge button
must be set to the ‘in’ position.

This is more convenient because you don't have to bother with manual switching.

HTH

Reply 5 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Second the patchbay idea. I have an Edirol UM550 I use to patch multiple PCs to an MT32, a Yamaha MU50EX and a Roland electric piano (has GM/GS logos but every instrument is a piano...)

Tbh, I'd have preferred the MPU-104 and 105, but they're not that easy to find and not that cheap when you do...