VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I eventually managed to get sound out of my sound blaster Audigy 2 ZS card, but I had some serious issues while trying to make it work.
Basically the main issue is that neither the installer on the Audigy 2 ZS cd or the driver update on vogons drivers ever detect that I have the card in the system. I just get error that it is not detected and installation attempt ends there.
In both windows xp and in win98se I can install drivers manually in device manager and I am able to get sound. In win98se though after installing WDM driver I get blue screen every time I boot to win98se and I am forced to remove them in safe mode to be able to boot to windows. With unpacking of VxD driver and installing those manually I get sound in win98se without blue screen during boot.

Se basically I have sound in both even if I have not tested things like if it works in games and if EAX works and such.
Basically what I am asking if anyone has any idea if these problems with the card not being detected and that blue screen in win98se with WDM version mean that there is still something wrong with the card itself and if I would be better off trying to find a replacement card still?

Also I am asking if there is any way for me to update the driver to a newer version that seems to fix a lot of issues? The driver update on vogons drivers is a single file installer that seems to be self extracting archive and since it doesn't detect the card I don't get the driver files either that I could manually try to install the newer driver version.

Reply 2 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For Win98, use this driver CD image. Burn the image to a physical CD then install the drivers, don't use virtual drive emulators etc. The installation may require several restarts and the CD needs to be in for it to be completed properly. As for WinXP, use the DanielK Audigy driver pack.

This should install fine without doing anything manually, unless your Audigy card is of the Dell variety. I'm not too familiar with those, but I hear they might require a specific set of drivers. You can identify a Dell Audigy 2 ZS card by three white stickers on the back side and a serial number with "SB0358" on one of those stickers.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-03-09, 09:56:

For Win98, use this driver CD image. Burn the image to a physical CD then install the drivers, don't use virtual drive emulators etc. The installation may require several restarts and the CD needs to be in for it to be completed properly. As for WinXP, use the DanielK Audigy driver pack.

This should install fine without doing anything manually, unless your Audigy card is of the Dell variety. I'm not too familiar with those, but I hear they might require a specific set of drivers. You can identify a Dell Audigy 2 ZS card by three white stickers on the back side and a serial number beginning with SB0358.

That is the cd that I have been using and the installer doesn't detect the card. The motherboard I have been using is Asus A8V deluxe rev 2.0. I have a pretty much clean installations of both win98se and winXP in the system, so no virtual drives.
This is the update I would have wanted to install but it doesn't detect the card so I can't get the files for manual installation attempt http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=7 … &menustate=36,0
The card is SB0350 model.

Here is a picture of the card.

audigy.jpg
Filename
audigy.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you take a photo of the back side of the card as well?

That's where the stickers are.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 5 of 9, by Asaki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A lot of Creative cards have this issue where, allegedly, the header information on one of the chips gets overwritten, and the card is no longer recognized. There's supposed to be a way you can rewrite the chip and disable the "write" pin to keep it from happening again, but I haven't looked into it yet.

I really need to.

Sometimes I can force certain drivers to install, but they still don't work like they're supposed to, and not all of the software will install, and I can't get things like EAX to enable.

Reply 6 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-03-09, 10:18:

Can you take a photo of the back side of the card as well?

That's where the stickers are.

Ok, I took it out of the system and took a picture.

audigyback.jpg
Filename
audigyback.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, that looks like a Dell card, hence the detection problems.

Check this post and see if those instructions help. I don't have any personal experience with Dell cards, so I can't offer any help beyond that.

Reply 8 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-03-09, 10:45:

Yep, that looks like a Dell card, hence the detection problems.

Check this post and see if those instructions help. I don't have any personal experience with Dell cards, so I can't offer any help beyond that.

Thanks. This helped a lot. It is good to know that the detection issues are not because there is actually something wrong with the card.

Reply 9 of 9, by Xaleros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I received an Audigy 2 ZS recently and, unfortunately, it is a Dell model. I was happy to find that these steps at least got the VxD drivers working, but no EAX whatsoever, even if I follow the instructions in that thread. EAX does work in the WDM drivers, but of course the performance is sub-optimal as is characteristic with the WDM drivers on 98.

I can only imagine there's a set of DLLs or some set of files that aren't being copied for some reason, hence the lack of EAX, but I wasn't able to find information to support this anywhere. Any ideas? I can still use the card without EAX but its a bit of a bummer seeing as that's why I bought this in the first place.