VOGONS

First post, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am currently playing warcraft1 with midi playing over a NS5R and an Akai SG01K side by side. When I switch between them, I notice the melody sound similar, but the Korg is producing no drum sounds at all. The drums from the Akai sound really good. I am not doing anything special with the Korg - just switching it on. The "GM MAP" light is green.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 7, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On NS5R GM mode really means Korg mode. Try GS or XG mode. Do a full factory reset too as the Korg auto saves everything and it has a lot of special settings. For example the drums channel could be going to the waveblaster header.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 4 of 7, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, the NS5R has one of the worst menu systems ever 🤣.
[Edit]-> Preset -> [Edit] -> Then use the wheel to select what mode you want. Push [Edit], confirm and [Edit] again.
GM Mode On = Standard NS5R Mode
NS5R Reset (R) = Roland GS
NS5R Reset (Y) = Yamaha XG
Factory Preset = Full Factory Reset

Other useful stuff:
[Edit] -> Global ->NS5R Setup -> BankMap
Default = NS5R Mode (GM-A) OR 05R/W (GM-B) Map Mode

Next to this you will see FX. Followpart. Default is 0 which means special effects will be disabled! Set to 01 for games.
But some stuff sounds better with it off imo. Experiment!

Also under Global, push [Part Left] or [Part Right] to reach RX Switch
Here you can choose to accept or ignore GM, GS, and XG Reset messages. You can assign your screen color of choice to each even.

Internal Wave Blaster daughterboard use:
[Edit] -> PartEdit -> [Edit] -> Common [Edit] -> [Part Right] -> MIDI To Port
The big grid assigns where all of the channels go.
Port A = NS5R Main
Port B = Ns5R Sub
Port C = Wave Blaster Daughterboard

So yes you can say install a dreamblaster and use it's guitars while the Korg does everything else.
Cool module to play with once you get used to it.

The Akai also auto-saves everything by the way. For game use it's helpful to factory reset it every time.
Simply hold both the Up and Down buttons while pushing the power switch. You will see CLR appear on the display.
I adore my Akai. It's patches are incredibly unbalanced compared to all the Japanese Module makers. This makes for some
very clashing in your face music. It's like each instrument is trying to uppercut the others. Games like Rise of the Triad are just perfect
on it.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 6 of 7, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SuperDeadite wrote on 2020-03-12, 17:01:

The Akai also auto-saves everything by the way. For game use it's helpful to factory reset it every time.
Simply hold both the Up and Down buttons while pushing the power switch. You will see CLR appear on the display.

So I got all the instructions working except this. My Akai has the up/down buttons, but the only power switch is at the rear which is just an on/off toggle, not a soft switch. When I press it, the unit just turns off. Is there another way? Cheers.

EDIT: OK I got it, I had to turn it off, hold the up/down buttons, then switch it on.

I now have drums from the Korg which is nice! The Akai sounds much better than the Korg for warcraft, I am guessing for Doom/Duke3D it is the other way round.

Reply 7 of 7, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love Doom on the Akai, it's super strong blaring samples are a perfect fit for over the top games like Doom. Duke sounds a little off as it wants to use the GS Power drum kit, which the Akai doesn't have.

Classical music tends to sound terrible on the Akai as it's poor balence tends to murder the melody imo.