VOGONS

First post, by zago27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there!
I'm playing around with some of my hardware and I'm currently trying a SoundBlaster 16 Value PnP w/ IDE interface. My test bench is based on a MS-6163 440BX motherboard and is running Windows 98 SE.
I wanted to try the IDE interface, altough both of the channels on the mainboard are fully functional, just for "fun". I plugged a CD-ROM drive to the SB16 and, to my surprise, I wasn't able to make it show up in Device Manager. I tried different drives (LG DVD-ROM, LG DVD-RW, Daewoo CD-ROM) with no success.
Here's what I get in the Hard drive controllers sections (sorry, I'm currently using an Italian installation):

devmgr.png
Filename
devmgr.png
File size
17.54 KiB
Views
File comment
Device Manager listing
File license
Public domain

All of the current IDE controllers are showing up and seem to work fine, however the primary and secondary channels are both from the Intel IDE, and I'm pretty positive I should be getting a tertiary channel from the Creative IDE controller. Also, I can see the main LG DVD drive connected as slave to the secondary channel on the mainboard, but the Daewoo unit I'm currently using is simply not here. This is showing the entry using the included Windows driver, but I also tried with the older driver from the Creative driver CD and it can't even get the parent controller to work.
The card is completely PnP and the IDE interface got base addresses 0x168 and 0x36E and IRQ 10. No conflicts with anything else.

What is going on with this configuration? Am I missing something or my card is just half dead?

Your friendly neighborhood hardware database and blog, The Retro Web

Reply 1 of 3, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are there any jumpers on the card that you have to set?

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 2 of 3, by zago27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Absolutely nothing. The only pin headers I have are IDE, WaveBlaster, MB_PRO and PC speaker output. It's completely Plug'n'Play.

Reply 3 of 3, by zago27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick update. Since I'm using CF storage, I popped in a blank CF and setup DOS 5.00+MSCDEX and Windows 3.1. I installed the drivers from the CD I have and I'm starting to feel it's not the right CD. In the win31 directory, I only have audio drivers and no SBIDE drivers. Different story for win95 and winnt, in which I have proper drivers, however they are not picking up the card.
I'm currently using a DVD-ROM drive connected to the mainboard IDE controller and a CD-ROM drive connected directly to the SoundBlaster. During startup, I had both of them with the trays open. As soon as GSCDROM.SYS started scanning for drives, both units closed the trays. Which I think means it's detecting something, but not everything. MSCDEX then assigned letter D to the DVD-ROM and still no signs from the drive on the SB.
I will download SB IDE drivers from the Driver Library and see if it gets any better.