I wanted to clarify about Interwave support, as a recent post on Orpheus II thread seems to claim some kind of problem or incompatibility with UNISOUND's Interwave support.
So far, no known problems have been detected with Interwave support. If something wrong is detected with it, please, report it, with details, to be able to investigate and solve it as soon as possible.
I suspect that maybe that statement may be related with a post user Itling started here last year: Re: UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.78b
reporting some problems with samples, supposedly caused by RAM not being initialized (which in fact UNISOUND does).
I was in contact with user Itling in private, we spent about 2 weeks performing extensive tests with a lot of different systems, different Interwave-based cards, different software, games, demos, module players, over 40 different modules of different formats, different adjustments... Everything worked well. After a lot of testing, in the ends, it turned out to be a defective card Itling had in his collection. So in the end it was all a false alarm.
I have reviewed subsequent posts after those tests and I noticed that we forgot to mention the testing and results, and some time later, when v0.80 was released, no fixes were included in the changelog because there was nothing to fix. It was my mistake to have forgotten to mention it. Anyway I hope this is now clear.
About Orpheus II support: If users and/or authors have interest, it would be a honor to add proper support for it to UNISOUND, of course.
Interwave part: If everything is like a GUS-Pnp or know compatible cards (including EEPROM and PnP IDs), everything should work out of the box.
Crystal part: I would need info about the connections between the Crystal and other parts like the OPL, mixer ins/outs... , the EEPROM config, PnP ID and device string.
matze79 wrote on 2023-03-17, 21:14:
The problem with some Terratec Base-1 cards has been located, being a mix of AD181x + EPROM model + Chipset/Chipset timings, and a workaround will be released in the next version. Note that very old (like v0.65) init and detection routines will not be used because it would be a big step back, as it would break support for a lot of cards and software that was added with later versions. But, no worries, In the next release, the standard init (without parameters) will address 99% of the problematic "mixes" of AD181x, and the other 1% (as the rare combination of some systems with Intel's FX + some ATMEL EPROMS) will be solved using a new parameter with a slightly different and slower method.