VOGONS

Reply 620 of 631, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boggit wrote on 2024-03-01, 19:19:

When rebooting, I get to here, after which my computer hangs (and will not reboot even on ctrl-alt-del):

This is interesting because it's been noted (by me and others) that an Acer Magic S23 (also a Crystal based card) does a similar thing with some motherboards:

Re: Perfect ISA soundcard, in theory

So I wonder if this is just an incompatibility with some motherboard chipsets? It would be great to have someone like JazeFox to debug it - I'd be interested to hear what they find, because it's my only complaint with the otherwise fantastic Magic S23.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 621 of 631, by boggit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote on 2024-03-04, 23:03:

So I wonder if this is just an incompatibility with some motherboard chipsets?

Could be. I'm receiving a 386SX motherboard today. I will try the soundcard with that, and see if it makes any difference.

Reply 622 of 631, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

for what it's worth I have at least one 286 motherboard that does not like PnP sound chips... it has detection issues with almost every PnP chip - works perfect with old cards using old non-pnp chips
I could never find the issue, it just did not work
the mobo in question is a 286/16 one using the HT12/A chipset - other mobos with the same chipset work fine

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 623 of 631, by JazeFox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

Time for a new release, centered in bug fixes for known and reported problems and small additions.

I want to thank all users who sent PMs of support and encouragement for my family situation last year. Thank you a lot!

Now, the new version:

Tool updated to v0.81b

Changelog:

• Fixed wavetable sound not working on Opti 931 cards with onboard wavetable.
  • Fixed detection of Terratec Base-1 and other AD1816 based cards with ATMEL EEPROM chips. Now these cards will be detected correctly. Anyway there are about 1% of these cards in combination with some mobo chipsets that would need to add the option /FS to be detected properly.
  • Improved AWE RAM detection for late EMU8K chips, like AWE64 cards. Now the correct amount should be shown.
  • Added option to use a custom IRQ for the IDE port, with new BLASTER optional parameter "Y". Use of "C" is still required. If "Y" is not used, default stadard IRQ will be used, like in previous versions. Example: C168 Y11
  • Changed behaviour of /NOPNP detection for ESS and Mozart chips, should improve compatibility with some systems with Non-PnP ESS onboard sound.
  • Added Control of FM Reverb (/VRnn) and Chorus (/VUnn) effects amount, only for SB AWE32/64 cards (Values 00 to 99). Note: This works on AWE cards with integrated CQM and with discrete Yamaha OPL / CQM chips, if they're routed through the EMU8K chip. Only a few exceptions are not routed, like CT3930.

The download link is updated at the end of the first post as usual:
    UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b

Reply 624 of 631, by boggit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
boggit wrote on 2024-03-05, 10:52:

I'm receiving a 386SX motherboard today. I will try the soundcard with that, and see if it makes any difference.

Just installed my 386SX motherboard. Soundcard works excellently when using the Aopen IPLAW35 drivers. Unisound now runs without the system hanging, but doesn't seem to enable sound in games and such. Then again, no real need for that, as the real drivers work with this system!

keropi wrote on 2024-03-05, 11:29:

the mobo in question is a 286/16 one using the HT12/A chipset - other mobos with the same chipset work fine

Yup, HT12/A is what I had as well on my 286.

Reply 625 of 631, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JazeFox wrote on 2024-03-05, 16:11:

[*] Changed behaviour of /NOPNP detection for ESS and Mozart chips, should improve compatibility with some systems with Non-PnP ESS onboard sound.

detection issue with my ess es688 appears resolved. wow! i feel like i'm getting concierge service. thank you for all your efforts!

Reply 628 of 631, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JazeFox wrote on 2024-03-05, 16:11:
Hi! […]
Show full quote

Hi!

Time for a new release, centered in bug fixes for known and reported problems and small additions.

I want to thank all users who sent PMs of support and encouragement for my family situation last year. Thank you a lot!

Now, the new version:

Tool updated to v0.81b

Changelog:

• Fixed wavetable sound not working on Opti 931 cards with onboard wavetable.
  • Fixed detection of Terratec Base-1 and other AD1816 based cards with ATMEL EEPROM chips. Now these cards will be detected correctly. Anyway there are about 1% of these cards in combination with some mobo chipsets that would need to add the option /FS to be detected properly.
  • Improved AWE RAM detection for late EMU8K chips, like AWE64 cards. Now the correct amount should be shown.
  • Added option to use a custom IRQ for the IDE port, with new BLASTER optional parameter "Y". Use of "C" is still required. If "Y" is not used, default stadard IRQ will be used, like in previous versions. Example: C168 Y11
  • Changed behaviour of /NOPNP detection for ESS and Mozart chips, should improve compatibility with some systems with Non-PnP ESS onboard sound.
  • Added Control of FM Reverb (/VRnn) and Chorus (/VUnn) effects amount, only for SB AWE32/64 cards (Values 00 to 99). Note: This works on AWE cards with integrated CQM and with discrete Yamaha OPL / CQM chips, if they're routed through the EMU8K chip. Only a few exceptions are not routed, like CT3930.

The download link is updated at the end of the first post as usual:
    UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b

Hi, thanks a lot for your great work, i use unisound in almost all my machines, is amazing

I have a question, i tried to use Reverb (/VRnn) and Chorus (/VUnn) option in my AWE64 Gold, but nothing happen, is gold supported? thanks

Reply 629 of 631, by Cryptus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This driver is really nice!
Just one question, is it possible to implement an errorlevel (for use in batch files), e.g. errorlevel 1 if driver was not loaded (because of wrong option or soundcard not detected) and errorlevel 0 (only) in case of success? (or vice versa)

Reply 630 of 631, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I already asked this question in the past and would like to ask it again. This project is amazing, all kudos to JazeFox for doing it, but is there a possibility to open source it? It would be really a shame if all this work and knowledge would disappear one day. Opening this would also allow that more people would have an opportunity to contribute. May be this project would be even useful for another projects, like emulators and virtualization. Would love to see it one day on github, gitlab or similar platform. It's also much easier there to maintain and follow the issues, write the documentation and notes etc. A forum is tbh not the best tool for such things.

Thank you.

My Youtube channel Necroware

Reply 631 of 631, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since ESS original drivers cannot be properly "locked" with midito but UNISOUND works I have been testing with this driver now. Using my ESS1868F Card

I stumbled over an issue though: I think the volume of sound effects would need to be adjusted by /VWnn Set Wave Volume level to 'nn' % (00-99), correct?
While I can change the volume via using V, and VF works for synth, I cannot adjust the volume of sound effects or Speech separately. I think it should work via VM, but this doesnt seem to do anything.
The reason I don't want to adjust the volume for speech via V is that it adds a significant amount of noise beyond a setting of like 50, even if everything else is a t 0. So I want to keep that as low as possible.

Update:
I checked a few games now, and this doesnt seem to be always the case:
-Jagged Alliance Deadly Games, (loading audiodrv.dig as driver) -> Voice unaffected by wave setting, always too silent
-Duke Nukem 3D - Sound effects unaffected by wave settings - sounds about right
-Lands of Lore - Voice unaffected by wave settings - sounds about right
-MAG! - Video sound is affected by wave settings

so out of 4 games, 3 are not adjustable and 1 would need adjustments