VOGONS

First post, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've installed a Sound Blaster 16 in my machine and it's sounding really good, but it came with a generic Wave Blaster add-on card and I'm not sure any of my games support it.

It claims to be a Televideo WaveImpact Q32, but I'm not finding any data online aside from pictures.

Are there any programs that will let me test what it can do (or if it even works) in DOS 6.22 without needing a MIDI setup?

Reply 1 of 15, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You have to setup music for the game you want to play as "General MIDI" or "Sound Canvas" on usually port 330. This is all. For sound effects you select usual Sound Blaster option.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 15, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lylat1an wrote on 2020-03-14, 18:42:

It claims to be a Televideo WaveImpact Q32, but I'm not finding any data online aside from pictures.

That's a "Q-DSP"-based wavetable with 512 KB sample ROM and no support for effects. Cheapest wavetable you can get. Still better than not having a wavetable at all, but if you want to enjoy games using General MIDI, that's not the right hardware to do so. Not in combination with an SB16 anyway, which has the hanging notes bug.

Reply 6 of 15, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-15, 08:44:
Lylat1an wrote on 2020-03-14, 18:42:

That's a "Q-DSP"-based wavetable with 512 KB sample ROM and no support for effects. Cheapest wavetable you can get. Still better than not having a wavetable at all, but if you want to enjoy games using General MIDI, that's not the right hardware to do so. Not in combination with an SB16 anyway, which has the hanging notes bug.

Well, at least the two boards were priced right.

Would you advise getting one of the Serdashop DreamBlasters? They seem more readily available than any other wavetables.

Reply 8 of 15, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-15, 17:08:

I own the DreamBlaster S1, S2, and X2. They are all very nice and the S2 is also very cheap. It depends, however, what you are aiming for. For DOS games, it's best to get a Roland SC-55 instead.

I aim to play DOS games on native hardware instead of DOSBox, but I don't have much room for external modules nor do I want to overcomplicate things.

Would I notice any difference between the S2 and X2 if I never changed the soundfonts on the latter?

Reply 9 of 15, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lylat1an wrote on 2020-03-15, 17:59:

I aim to play DOS games on native hardware instead of DOSBox, but I don't have much room for external modules nor do I want to overcomplicate things.

Would I notice any difference between the S2 and X2 if I never changed the soundfonts on the latter?

Check out my wavetable sample thread on Vogons wherein I link to samples from QDSP-based wavetables as well as Dreamblaster S1 and X2.

My Wavetable Sample Thread

Reply 10 of 15, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lylat1an wrote on 2020-03-15, 17:59:

Yes, because the X2 uses uncompressed samples and even the default sound font is about 25 times as large as that of the S2. But if you don't want to experiment with sound fonts, effect settings etc., just get the S2. It sounds very decent in most DOS games I tried so far. There's no comparison to the X2, however.

Reply 11 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-15, 17:08:

For DOS games, it's best to get a Roland SC-55 instead.

If you can find one, a CS/Dream 9233 based board with the illegally copied Roland sound bank is really nice as well.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 12 of 15, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I found quite unknown (to me) SAMSUNG wavecard on an OPTi sound card. I am not impressed from what I heard. Note also the adjacent OPL4 connector, what is it for?

Attachments

• IMG_1941.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1941.JPG
    File size
    1.15 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 13 of 15, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The OPL connector looks to be another board connector, which you'd use for an OPL board, with the same standard Wave Blaster interface as the Samsung card. The Samsung card isn't worth anything as far as being useful goes, as it is nothing more than a technical curiosity at this point and easily surpassed by other cards that incorporate more advanced or newer MIDI synths.

Reply 14 of 15, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The OPL4 connector on the left has very different pinout in comparison with the wavetable connector. Just the header is the same -- 26 pin. Yes, I have better sound cards with MIDI therefore I had the chance to compare the output of this module...Still works though. It would be interesting to replace the ROM with something better and more accurate...But so far I don't like to spoil the original appearance of the module.

Reply 15 of 15, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi georgel, i will pm you concerning the samsung card... there's this project i am working on... hmm... well i will pm you...

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !