VOGONS

First post, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would I gain reverb & chorus options for the OPL synth of a SB Pro / SB16 soundcard, when adding either a Creative Waveblaster II (CT1910) or a Creative AWE32 upgrade card (CT1920)?

Reply 1 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Afaik not. Only the AWE32/64 cards (not the upgrade) allowed that, at the same time killing hardware MPU-401 compatibility because of that.

http://retro-net.de/blog.html

Reply 3 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, the EMU8000 is compatible. With the add-on card, GM works with no TSR.

On the AWE, they used two of the MIDI channels from the EMU8000 to route the OPL output through, so effects could be applied. That of course broke compatibility.

http://retro-net.de/blog.html

Reply 4 of 8, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Der Kuenringer wrote on 2020-03-23, 10:22:

Would I gain reverb & chorus options for the OPL synth of a SB Pro / SB16 soundcard, when adding either a Creative Waveblaster II (CT1910) or a Creative AWE32 upgrade card (CT1920)?

You need to feed the line outs from your OPL sources into external DSPs for effects processing such as chorus, reverb and other effects.

Reply 5 of 8, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
j^aws wrote on 2020-03-26, 23:22:

You need to feed the line outs from your OPL sources into external DSPs for effects processing such as chorus, reverb and other effects.

That's a great idea, I hadn't thought of that option at all. I have no experience with DSPs though... For the described purpose, would I be better served with a dedicated sound processor, or can you recommend any software-based solutions?

Reply 6 of 8, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Der Kuenringer wrote on Yesterday, 15:07:
j^aws wrote on 2020-03-26, 23:22:

That's a great idea, I hadn't thought of that option at all. I have no experience with DSPs though... For the described purpose, would I be better served with a dedicated sound processor, or can you recommend any software-based solutions?

External DSPs will sit between your soundcard outputs and your speakers, so they usually are hardware.

Keep in mind that there are units dedicated to a single type of effect (e.g. only chorus or only reverb), so you'll want a multi-effect unit that allows chaining effects (so you can have reverb and chorus at once).

Reply 8 of 8, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Der Kuenringer wrote on Yesterday, 17:00:

Would something like this suffice?
https://www.thomann.de/gb/tc_electronic_m100.htm

I'm a bit out of my depth here, so I'd be happy for more/better suggestions.

Yeah, that would more than suffice. It's beyond the tech used in your initial query in something like an AWE32. TC Electronics are well regarded for their effects algorithms. That unit has some nice realtime control knobs and 24bit AD/DA aswell.