First post, by FrostyTheSnowman
I just finished testing my Yamaha YMF-744 card under native DOS on an Asus P8P67 (LGA 1155 - P67) motherboard - SoundBlaster effects and OPL3 music are fully functional under native DOS using DSDMA, and ports 220/330/388, irq 5 and dma 1 are confirmed working.
However, ports 201/202/204/205 are not working... and thus joysticks do not work. My guess is that these ports are likely not assigning/routing to legacy PCI, or the ASMedia bridge is not passing them through.
I have attached pictures of the exact hardware I used (generic pictures taken from Google).
- YMF-744 did not detect/work on motherboard BIOS version 1305, but it does detect and work properly on motherboard BIOS version 3602.
- Other than updating the motherboard's BIOS to 3602 no other BIOS settings/changes were necessary - YMF-744 works out of the box with DSDMA on default BIOS settings.
- DOS seems to work best when the onboard SATA ports are in AHCI mode... IDE mode causes hangs.
- Asus P8P67 uses ASM1083 PCIE-PCI bridge.
- I have not tested any of the other Asus P8P67 variants, I have only used the standard P8P67 version with the large blue VRM heatsinks and 3x PCI ports... but I would think the other variants will also work if they are on BIOS 3602.
- I have not tested any other Yamaha YMF-7x4 cards, I have only tested YMF-744.