VOGONS

First post, by lordskylark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If some of you here have some downtime, I am looking for someone to make some high-quality recordings of the music for a few older games for an archive for my personal friend who composed some of the music. The games were ported to various platforms, so we are trying to get a recording of each version. We understand that emulation is possible, but we are not interested in using emulation, we want a recording made from the original hardware. It would be very expensive and time consuming for us to acquire every single system and learn its operations, especially when some of these soundtracks are incredibly short and some of the systems quite costly. I am monetarily compensate anyone for the time invested.

We can provide images and/or save states for most of these in order to make this as easy as possible without having to play through the entire game.

Needed systems:

AppleIIe (three games: 1 minute + 1 minute + 1 minute) (1987, 1988, 1990)
Amiga (two games: 1 minute + 30 minutes) (1990, 1992)
Macintosh OS6(?) (one game: 30 minutes) (1993)
DOS PC-Speaker (three games: 1 minute + 1 minute + 1 minute) (1987, 1988, 1990)
DOS SoundBlaster 1.5 OPL2 (two games: 30 minutes + 90 minutes) (1991, 1991)

MSX (one game: 20 minutes x2) (1989)
Japanese PC-88 (one game: 20 minutes) (1987)
Japanese PC-98 (ask)
Japanese FM-7 (one game: 20 minutes) (1987)
Japanese FM-Towns (ask)

There may be some more in the future, depending on how soon these can be completed.

NOTE: Some older soundcards have the ability to route the PC-Speaker directly back into the soundcard. This is probably the best method.

(If there's a better forum area to post this request, please let me know.)

(Note: Unless, the specific requests are deleted from the main post, do not consider any requests to be fulfilled yet even if someone has responded, as offers do not always come to fruition.)

Thank you,
Andrew

Last edited by lordskylark on 2020-03-28, 01:55. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by MrSmiley381

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the game doesn't have any odd speed-sensitive issues, I have an MSX Turbo-R from which I can record. I have a flash cart for it which might make things a bit easier. Only other caveat is that the system supposedly needs a couple of resistor and trace mods to have the best possible audio quality and balance. Sorry I don't have any of those other Japanese computers (yet).

I've also got an Amiga 1200, so if the Amiga game listed will run on that then there's another potential system covered.

It's been a long time since I've done any audio recording but I have enough sense to fiddle with low/high pass filters and check for audio buzz, etc.

I spend my days fighting with clunky software so I can afford to spend my evenings fighting with clunky hardware.

Reply 2 of 2, by lordskylark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MrSmiley381 wrote on 2020-03-27, 11:16:

If the game doesn't have any odd speed-sensitive issues, I have an MSX Turbo-R from which I can record. I have a flash cart for it which might make things a bit easier. Only other caveat is that the system supposedly needs a couple of resistor and trace mods to have the best possible audio quality and balance. Sorry I don't have any of those other Japanese computers (yet).

I've also got an Amiga 1200, so if the Amiga game listed will run on that then there's another potential system covered.

It's been a long time since I've done any audio recording but I have enough sense to fiddle with low/high pass filters and check for audio buzz, etc.

Thank you for the reply. I suppose it would be best to update the information with the date of the games.

The Amiga games were release in 1990 and 1992. I'm not sure how the soundcard evolved.
The MSX game is from 1989. My notes say that there are two different sound versions of it - PSG and OPLL. This will require an image, I believe, as I had to hack the game to make some music play without having to make a full run through the game.

I will contact you individually.