VOGONS

First post, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all. Apologies if this has been covered however after some googling I have still not found any information.

I today replaced my YMF-719 soundcard with this CT2890 as the yamaha had an incredible amount of hiss and interferance. As well as a disturbing sound when the PC was powered off (I have heard this can be caused by a bad ground?! A problem for another day..).

After fitting the CT2890 instead the hissing and noise is almost eliminated however even on the lowest volume setting the card is very loud! (using headphones)
The yamaha card had jumpers to change between speakers/line out so I was wondering if any of the jumpers on this creative card would do the same? Or to at least lower the amplification.

Cheers.

Attachments

• sound2.jpeg
    Filename
    sound2.jpeg
    File size
    229.8 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • sound1.jpeg
    Filename
    sound1.jpeg
    File size
    317.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 1 of 4, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK RSPK_EN sounds like it's for toggling the right channel. Not sure about what JP3 does, probably worth trying moving JP3 around to see what it does.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 2 of 4, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vynix wrote on 2020-04-02, 17:29:

AFAIK RSPK_EN sounds like it's for toggling the right channel. Not sure about what JP3 does, probably worth trying moving JP3 around to see what it does.

That will be coming soon! Just wondering if somebody knew about it to save time 😀

I just tried my yamaha card in another PC and there was no noise at all so I may swap out the PSU in this PC and see if it helps at all.
There is also quite some noise on the display so the grounding issues need to be looked at sooner rather than later.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 3 of 4, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably 1st jack next to game port is amplified output, while next one is line out.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 4 of 4, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A pic of the front bracket will probably help. As for the PSU parasiting everything else, yes I've had that happen too, with a SB PCI 128 (bleh), it was for some reason overly sensible to the electrical noise from my PSU, swapped it for a CT4180 (still bleh but at least it's ISA and doesn't need a crappy TSR bridge in DOS), that one does not seem to be as sensible as the 128 PCI was.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]