VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it is what is supposed to be a timpani but sounds like a crash .

Got the MIDI from here : https://midiarchive.co.uk/midi/Games/Duke%20Nukem%203D
Recorded from Windows 98SE Media Player using Sound Recorder (Tried it in GSPLAY after sending a GS reset and it sounded the same) .

EDIT : Does not sound balanced either with that dominating bassline .
Sorry about the clipping, the line in recording level (what the daughterboard output is routed to on Audiotrix 3D/XG) was set to minimum (I could not attenuate it more), so the clipping is likely occurring because the daughterboard is overdriving the line input . That is not the cause of the crappy sample, but the clipping certainly does not help .

Attachments

Reply 21 of 25, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like my Audiotrix 3D/XG is broken (Line level playback affects recording level when line in is select as recording input). I will continue in another thread .

EDIT : See my post in Re: Request for EEPROM dump from Audiotrix 3D/XG (card seems partially broken) for potential explanation for clipping .

Last edited by darry on 2020-04-25, 03:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 25, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AudiTrix has a circuit around output and line input to route it through a DB60XG board. I don't know the exact circuit but if it isn't configured right you would get some additional strangeness even when DB60XG board isn't attached.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 23 of 25, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-04-23, 19:43:

If you must have a GS daughterboard, try to get an SCB-55 . I can confirm upon preliminary re-listening to the Monster Midi with Duke Nukem 3D midi files that, although it is better than I remember, it is distinctly different from my SC-88 with SC-55 map on many instruments and not in a good way . Considering the trouble I went through, I am going to keep it installed and run further tests.

yep, that's why I made this thread 😀

Still working on acquiring one, and I've decided to go back to a single CPU Asus TUSL2-C build since they work fine with modern PSUs and I haven't had time to figure out which capacitors I need to recap these old Enermax PSUs I bought last year.

In the meantime I do have a pristine SC-55 mkii to use with modern PCs and DOSBox.

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 24 of 25, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2020-04-23, 19:48:

From what I know, SC88 in SC55 mode isn't completely authentic.
I have access to SCB55 and couple Dream based cards (SAM9233 with 1 and 4MB bank and SAM9733 with 4MB GS bank) and they are close enough that if you aren't intimately familiar with them all you aren't gonna tell the difference. CleanWave set is completely different and its own thing on the Dream things.

SC88 in SC55 mode merely maps the SC55 map to the equivalent SC88 patches, AFAIK.

Reply 25 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC it has some significant difference in the drumsets or something, they did not map to those closer to the ones in SC-55 or something

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website