VOGONS

Reply 20 of 39, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpeedySPCFan wrote on 2020-04-21, 22:37:

All other Roland synths from this era use universal transformers (they had since 1999). You can ask Roland US for confirmation but I'd wager to say the SC-D70 is the same.

I signed up to ask Roland Canada and saw that the question had already been asked and answered (more explicitly than the response from Roland US, IMO) :

Q:
My Japanese friends give 3 sound modules while I visited them .They are Roland SC8850,SC-D70 and Edirol SD90.These modules all bought in Japan before.

Can I use them in Canada where power is 110V (not 100V )?

A:
All three products have internal switching power supplies. As a result you just need the proper AC cable which you can purchase from our Parts Department at rcm.parts@roland.com

The SC-8850 will simply need a polarized 2-prong 117v power cable.

The SC-D70 will simply need a 3-prong 117v power cable.

The SD-90 will simply need a 3-prong 117v power cable.

Reply 21 of 39, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And it works fine on 120V in Canada so far (not even warm to the touch). No issues with the Vista x64 drivers under Windows 10 x64 for PCM and midi . I definitely sounds different from an SC-88's SC-55 map or on SC-88's native map on various Duke Nukem midi files (Thanks to OldNice for the modified Tmidi Re: Modified TMIDI (With SC Map select) ) but quite enjoyable . Very happy to have added it to my collection .

And thank you all for all the feedback .

Reply 22 of 39, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can use any device from Japan in the USA no problem. The extra volts mean a little extra heat, but unless you are running it for 12 hours a day, it will be fine. Video game console importers have been doing since forever. Some Japanese devices do have a switch for 60/50hertz, but really only timing sensitive things like alarm clocks.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 23 of 39, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SuperDeadite wrote on 2020-04-22, 10:38:

You can use any device from Japan in the USA no problem. The extra volts mean a little extra heat, but unless you are running it for 12 hours a day, it will be fine. Video game console importers have been doing since forever. Some Japanese devices do have a switch for 60/50hertz, but really only timing sensitive things like alarm clocks.

Considering the age, monetary value and difficulty to repair or source parts, I definitely prefer to have devices such as this one work within rated specifications . If the PSU is a switching design and meant to handle a wide voltage range but its label is overly restrictive, that is one thing. If a device uses a power supply that was not designed for a higher voltage and whose linear regulator will heat up more as a result, that is another .

That is just my take on the matter, with my limited undestanding so far .

Maybe somebody with an in-depth understanding of PSU regulation can chime in and explain things in layman's terms .

Reply 24 of 39, by Halbert

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there!

I just bought the SC-D70 from ebay japan, I asked to many dedicated electronic shops ( I live in Spain, EU) and they only could offered me the US(110v) to EU 220v transformer . Also when I googled for shopping a Japan to EU transformer all the options indeed were the US ones so I assumed it was kinda same but still had many doubts since googling for the real JP voltage it said that Japan uses 100 instead of 110 US, so basically a technician convinced me that I shoult not care about the 10v difference . I used it trusting his words and everything was fine so far the first day (used for about 2h) . Now, second day I used it, suddenly the digital output sounds distorted and weird plus some out of tune sounds. All the analog outputs work very well though (I am using it in midi mode, not thru usb if that info matters), also suddenly realized an smell of electronic and indeed the canvas was very hot, so I turned it off. Now I am using it outputing the sound thru the analog rca outs but I am afraid that the difference voltage really matters and could cause more damage to other areas. Are you sure that the digital distorted sound is faulty because of the power supply thing or could be caused because of the previous use of the canvas? It just happen the second day I used it and I could talk witht the seller to reach a deal but I am scared that the damage could be caused 100% due the voltage transformer. Let me know your thoughts I will appreciate it so bad! thank you!

Reply 25 of 39, by Halbert

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very interesting! I am afraid I am late since I bought a transformer. Do you know that if the internal switch also applies for 220v (EU) ?

darry wrote on 2020-04-21, 23:23:
I signed up to ask Roland Canada and saw that the question had already been asked and answered (more explicitly than the respon […]
Show full quote

All other Roland synths from this era use universal transformers (they had since 1999). You can ask Roland US for confirmation but I'd wager to say the SC-D70 is the same.

I signed up to ask Roland Canada and saw that the question had already been asked and answered (more explicitly than the response from Roland US, IMO) :

Q:
My Japanese friends give 3 sound modules while I visited them .They are Roland SC8850,SC-D70 and Edirol SD90.These modules all bought in Japan before.

A:
All three products have internal switching power supplies. As a result you just need the proper AC cable which you can purchase from our Parts Department at rcm.parts@roland.com

Reply 26 of 39, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Halbert wrote on 2020-09-24, 11:01:

Very interesting! I am afraid I am late since I bought a transformer. Do you know that if the internal switch also applies for 220v (EU) ?

I signed up to ask Roland Canada and saw that the question had already been asked and answered (more explicitly than the respon […]
Show full quote

Q:

A:

I am afraid that I do not know about 220V compatibility . I think the best option for you would likely be to ask Roland .

EDIT: Can you test your transformer's output with a multimeter ? My SC-D70 does not seem to get hot running on 117V DC .

Reply 27 of 39, by Halbert

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-09-24, 13:50:
Halbert wrote on 2020-09-24, 11:01:

Show full quote

Q:

A:

I am afraid that I do not know about 220V compatibility . I think the best option for you would likely be to ask Roland .

EDIT: Can you test your transformer's output with a multimeter ? My SC-D70 does not seem to get hot running on 117V DC .

Hi, I just plugged it straight to the wall with this cable (https://http2.mlstatic.com/D_NQ_NP_739314-MLM … 25_012020-W.jpg) and works fine! doesnt get that hot like using the transfromer. So I can confirm that its switch is also working for 230, I realized that on the manual specs page says it works for 120 and 230 😀

Reply 28 of 39, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wanted to *bump* this thread as I photographed two PSU's from inside two Roland units:

SC-D70 from Japan (110V)
SD-90 from North America (117V)

They appear to be the same boards and components, except for slightly different markings on the transformer. The Japanese unit ends in a "Z" whereas the North American unit ends in an "H".

Not sure what those markings mean and if there is any significant difference in the transformers used?

Attachments

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 30 of 39, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bit of a necro there. But I had this thread watched when I was facing the same question. After some reading I YOLO'd my SC-D70 into an Australian 240V outlet and all went fine. Lovely units.

Reply 31 of 39, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperDeadite wrote on 2020-04-22, 10:38:

I'm still trying to figure out why my Micomsoft XRGB2plus came with a power supply rated "100-120VAC". Clearly it is a switching power supply (its small and lightweight), so why wouldn't they rate it for 100-240VAC? Not that I have casual access to anything above 120VAC here. I also have devices with linear power supplies, but double tapped transformers, similar to most PC power supplies. The difference is there isn't a 120/240VAC switch, you have to move a jumper wire!

Reply 32 of 39, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Because those switching power supplies use a high voltage buffer capacitor at line voltage before the switching part. In 220-240V regions they are rated for 400V (typically) but in 100-120V they might have a lower rating to save costs. The same may be true for other components on the incoming side but especially capacitors may go with a bang if their voltage rating is exceeded.

Reply 33 of 39, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, very much so. Switching supply is not a guarantee of full rangeness on input side of things. It also goes for opposite, the currents need to be twice as high for 100...120V range so using 220...240V stuff there may lead to a boom too as the transformer or the switching element isn't meant to deal with the double currents or doubly long switching periods.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 34 of 39, by InTheStudy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If anyone is reading this thread, please do not attempt to plug a "100V" Japanese SC-D70 into a EU/AU/UK 230V supply. Mine blew within two minutes. Use a passive step-down transformer and save yourself the tears.

Reply 35 of 39, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
InTheStudy wrote on 2024-03-19, 20:35:

If anyone is reading this thread, please do not attempt to plug a "100V" Japanese SC-D70 into a EU/AU/UK 230V supply. Mine blew within two minutes. Use a passive step-down transformer and save yourself the tears.

It still might be worth trying to reach out to Roland to ask about options and recommendations.

This is what I suggested here [1] when asked about 220V.
I only tried mine directly on 120V AFTER seeing an official support response from Roland saying it was OK to do so (that support forum no longer exists, unfortunately, so looking for answers about 220V or 240V compatibility or lack thereof is not an option).

[1]
Re: Questions on running/testing a Japanese 100v sound module (Roland SC-D70) on a North American 120V power grid .

Reply 36 of 39, by InTheStudy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2024-03-27, 00:48:

To be clear, I'd read every thread about this before I posted mine. I just wanted to make the annotation so that anyone who also saw this thread would see my experience as well.

All is on hold at my end until I can get it looked at by a technician, which is on hold till I'm well enough to leave the house!

Reply 37 of 39, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
InTheStudy wrote on 2024-03-27, 02:21:
darry wrote on 2024-03-27, 00:48:

To be clear, I'd read every thread about this before I posted mine. I just wanted to make the annotation so that anyone who also saw this thread would see my experience as well.

All is on hold at my end until I can get it looked at by a technician, which is on hold till I'm well enough to leave the house!

Your experience is an important added data point and is very much appreciated.

I hope you feel better soon. Best wishes and take care.

Reply 38 of 39, by Oleg.dvd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there
Just bought this beautifull used Roland SC-8850 from Japan.
I have 230V 50Hz grid, so want to know compartibility of the device BEFORE switching it on the main )))

photo_4_2024-04-03_22-52-46.jpg
Filename
photo_4_2024-04-03_22-52-46.jpg
File size
54.03 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Switching power supply located under the main board, so first you need to unskrew 16 bolts, disconnect ribbon cables and take the main board out.

photo_5_2024-04-03_22-52-46.jpg
Filename
photo_5_2024-04-03_22-52-46.jpg
File size
87.93 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Here you can see analog board and power supply

photo_1_2024-04-03_22-52-46.jpg
Filename
photo_1_2024-04-03_22-52-46.jpg
File size
141.17 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And want to confirm that the main capacitor in the swithcing power supply is rated 400V 56uF (sorry for not clear photo, too narrow space between radiator and capacitor itself)
Also fuse is marked on board as 2A 250V

photo_3_2024-04-03_22-52-46.jpg
Filename
photo_3_2024-04-03_22-52-46.jpg
File size
46.49 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

So definetly this device can be used in all regions with grid from 100 to 230V 50-60Hz, regardless of what is said on the sticker.

photo_2_2024-04-03_22-52-46.jpg
Filename
photo_2_2024-04-03_22-52-46.jpg
File size
102.05 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And of cause nothing caught fire after switching it on )))

Reply 39 of 39, by InTheStudy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oleg.dvd wrote on 2024-04-03, 20:26:

And of cause nothing caught fire after switching it on )))

Lucky for some!

My Popcorn has made it to the office, and is waiting for the tech and my schedules to line up.