VOGONS

Reply 21 of 26, by janlugt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off, thank you so much for writing this tool. A compact DOS machine like the HP t5710 makes it a lot more feasible to have a permanent setup, and having SoundBlaster sound on it is an awesome feature.

I've been trying to get this to work for a few hours today on a t5710 (with CF storage), and I keep running into crashing programs. I've tried this on both MS-DOS mode on Windows 98 (with PCL's easy DOS mode), and FreeDos 1.2, and the issues were similar. I'm trying to play the game Raptor: Call of the Shadows, and it crashes with the attached error message once I enable SoundBlaster audio. I've tried various addresses, but the issues remain. I've also tried to patch the .exe with DOS32/a's sb tool, and no luck there either. If I test the audio with SetBlast, I can hear a testing sound, though.

Any idea how I could get this to work? I'm kind of at a loss here.

Attachments

Reply 22 of 26, by Prez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
janlugt wrote on 2020-05-21, 01:53:

First off, thank you so much for writing this tool. A compact DOS machine like the HP t5710 makes it a lot more feasible to have a permanent setup, and having SoundBlaster sound on it is an awesome feature.

I've been trying to get this to work for a few hours today on a t5710 (with CF storage), and I keep running into crashing programs. I've tried this on both MS-DOS mode on Windows 98 (with PCL's easy DOS mode), and FreeDos 1.2, and the issues were similar. I'm trying to play the game Raptor: Call of the Shadows, and it crashes with the attached error message once I enable SoundBlaster audio. I've tried various addresses, but the issues remain. I've also tried to patch the .exe with DOS32/a's sb tool, and no luck there either. If I test the audio with SetBlast, I can hear a testing sound, though.

Any idea how I could get this to work? I'm kind of at a loss here.

Hi !
Maybe its due to IRQ settings. First of all, try to use IRQ 5 and if it doesn't work, try IRQ 7.
For that, just before calling VIASGBCFG, but SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4 or A220 I7 D1 T4.

Next, if noone of these settings works, go into your Bios (Del keyboard i presume at boot), and deactivate the following :
- Serial port
- Parallel port

And do it again. It should work.

Best regards,
Philippe Dubois

Old computers and videogames freak
President of french association https://mo5.com
Get better, get old ! 😁

Reply 24 of 26, by janlugt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Prez wrote on 2020-05-21, 04:36:
Hi ! Maybe its due to IRQ settings. First of all, try to use IRQ 5 and if it doesn't work, try IRQ 7. For that, just before cal […]
Show full quote

Hi !
Maybe its due to IRQ settings. First of all, try to use IRQ 5 and if it doesn't work, try IRQ 7.
For that, just before calling VIASGBCFG, but SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4 or A220 I7 D1 T4.

Next, if noone of these settings works, go into your Bios (Del keyboard i presume at boot), and deactivate the following :
- Serial port
- Parallel port

And do it again. It should work.

Best regards,
Philippe Dubois

Actually, it was the network card that was causing the conflict, regardless of whether I was selecting IRQ 5 or 7 for the sound card (I had tried both before). Since it's woefully insecure to connect these machines to the internet, it's probably better to have it disabled anyway. Thanks for the suggestions!

Reply 25 of 26, by will1384

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Neoware CA10 thinclient, and it unfortunately has the VIA VT1612A sound chip, and VIA VT8235M South Bridge, but apparently the VIA VT1612A sound chip can work under DOS, but unfortunately the Neoware CA10 thinclient does not have the option in BIOS to enable "Sound Blaster Emulation" I am wondering if VIASBCFG can be modified to enable "Sound Blaster Emulation" with this thinclient?

Reply 26 of 26, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JazeFox wrote on 2020-05-11, 15:33:
The sound works in Windows 9x with original drivers installed? What are you loading in CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT? What is the […]
Show full quote
RichB93 wrote on 2020-05-10, 18:17:

Just tried on my NEC Versa C140 laptop (which has been stuck on a pile for ages because it's not the most amazing spec, but this would make it somewhat useful), and it initialised okay (VT8231), plus the FM Emulation loaded, but I couldn't get any sound output sadly. Anything I can do to help troubleshoot?

The sound works in Windows 9x with original drivers installed?
What are you loading in CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT?
What is the codec's base address? (you can checkit it in VIASBCFG at run time, the firt line, at the end, somethig like: Base: [xxxx]
You can also run this to dump PCI devs:
http://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/pci.zip

Run PCI.EXE>PCILOG.TXT
and attach the log here.

Thanks for the reply! I go the machine fully re-installed (I was testing from a bootable USB previously via Plop boot manager), and can confirm that DOOM is working in pure DOS with FM and SoundBlaster audio... I just had to use SET BLASTER to make sure the card was on a different non standard address (I used A220 I7 D0).

This is so cool! Thanks for this.