VOGONS

First post, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am trying to get MI1 Ult Talkie working on a DOS PC. I have tried several soundcards from ESS audiodrives, to a CT1600 and CT1740.

They all have the same problem -- when digital speech starts, it works for a few seconds, then the whole PC freezes up.

On a different PC with an Audician32 it is fine.

The PC is running DOS6, MMX233 slowed down as much as possible with setmul. Other games like DOOM work fine, but are not playing back speech obviously. This is the only game that has an issue, and only during speech. Intro music is fine, and it gets all the way to the first pirate conversation in the pub before it freezes.

Using standing 220/5/1 settings across all cards.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what mouse driver are you using? I had the same freezing issues in both Ultimate Talkie and Space Quest 4 talkie games and in the end it was because of the mouse driver I was using: for me CTMOUSE v2.0a4 worked fine - but it depends on the hardware implementation on the mobo so maybe an earlier version is better or something else entirely

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 7, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2020-04-23, 07:49:

what mouse driver are you using? I had the same freezing issues in both Ultimate Talkie and Space Quest 4 talkie games and in the end it was because of the mouse driver I was using: for me CTMOUSE v2.0a4 worked fine - but it depends on the hardware implementation on the mobo so maybe an earlier version is better or something else entirely

Looks like mouse driver was it. I was using CTMOUSE 1.9.1. Removing it entirely and using keyboard worked fine with the CT1740, no crashing. I should have mentioned it worked with the audician32 but that was under Win98. I guess I will try the newer version of CTMOUSE...are there any other good mouse drivers worth trying as well?

Reply 4 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Then maybe you'll be just fine with CTMOUSE 2.0a4 as well - I was using 1.9.1 and had freezes. They use different methods to initialize the mouse so if one does not work try the other. I also remember I had the same issue with microsoft's driver... you just have to experiment .
did you also try CPMOUSE? Re: CuteMouse not working properly

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 7, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2020-04-23, 08:20:

Then maybe you'll be just fine with CTMOUSE 2.0a4 as well - I was using 1.9.1 and had freezes. They use different methods to initialize the mouse so if one does not work try the other. I also remember I had the same issue with microsoft's driver... you just have to experiment .
did you also try CPMOUSE? Re: CuteMouse not working properly

So I saw there was a 2.1b too, so I thought I would try it, but same problem. Then went back to 2.0a4, and it works! Thanks Keropi 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome! It is my understanding that 2.1 is meant for newer systems - p4 and above or something.
Glad you got it working!