VOGONS

Reply 21 of 24, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I personally prefer SETYMF and consider that SETUPSA is an abomination from a UI/usability standpoint . If you are looking to test for a specific issue, you can also test with INIT3DXG (meant for Audiotrix 3D/XG, but works with other YMF cards) . It is not as well layed out as SETYMF and has fewer options, but is worth a try .

Reply 22 of 24, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bit of testing, x-wing doesn't have the problem but seems to use an older imuse version, "SETMUSE" which detects and tests midi just fine, Dark Forces and Tie Fighter both lock up when trying to test with General Midi and also when trying to launch the game without testing, I was incorrect before when i stated i didn't have the problem, I had the sound set to 4-OP FM from testing a different card previously(ALS007)

My guess here is that the classic version (non collectors) will work as the classic version of Tie Fighter also uses the older "SETMUSE"

Edit: Also same behaviour with my ALS007 card;

Development: on a slower system(K6-2 400, Gigabyte GA-5AA) it's working. (original test system was an Abit KT7 with an AthlonXP CPU)
Strange that the newer versions would be speed sensitive and the older versions work. Guessing it's a speed issue.

Reply 23 of 24, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-17, 23:45:
Bit of testing, x-wing doesn't have the problem but seems to use an older imuse version, "SETMUSE" which detects and tests midi […]
Show full quote

Bit of testing, x-wing doesn't have the problem but seems to use an older imuse version, "SETMUSE" which detects and tests midi just fine, Dark Forces and Tie Fighter both lock up when trying to test with General Midi and also when trying to launch the game without testing, I was incorrect before when i stated i didn't have the problem, I had the sound set to 4-OP FM from testing a different card previously(ALS007)

My guess here is that the classic version (non collectors) will work as the classic version of Tie Fighter also uses the older "SETMUSE"

Edit: Also same behaviour with my ALS007 card;

Development: on a slower system(K6-2 400, Gigabyte GA-5AA) it's working. (original test system was an Abit KT7 with an AthlonXP CPU)
Strange that the newer versions would be speed sensitive and the older versions work. Guessing it's a speed issue.

Yeah, as it turns out putting my P II 350 back in was the solution.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 24 of 24, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Excellent, so not just me, I wonder what the cut off is in terms of CPU speed, Might try later on my PIII 500.
Was a bit concerned with this as I've got a little upgrade on the way for my DOS system, ATX SS7 board with onboard YMF715 or 719 audio .