VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-06-01, 03:16:

[Technically, yes, but as per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_98#Wind … _Second_Edition , 98 SE had "improved WDM audio and modem support". As noted above, Creative's installers specifically required 98 SE for WDM drivers.

Improved != Introduced
Though I don't see any reason to use Win98FE over SE anyway

Reply 21 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A few minutes of Googling has failed to reveal what, exactly, "improved" means in a technical context here. So, sure, maybe 98 FE has exactly the same support for WDM audio drivers as 98 SE, and people have just been spreading unfounded rumors for the last twenty years. Why not. 😜 But I doubt you're going to find anything from Creative that officially supports installing WDM drivers in 98 FE.

Reply 22 of 23, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-06-01, 17:18:

A few minutes of Googling has failed to reveal what, exactly, "improved" means in a technical context here. So, sure, maybe 98 FE has exactly the same support for WDM audio drivers as 98 SE, and people have just been spreading unfounded rumors for the last twenty years. Why not. 😜 But I doubt you're going to find anything from Creative that officially supports installing WDM drivers in 98 FE.

For all we know, maybe they just included better WDM drivers and an improved NTKERN.VXD. And no, I don't think 98FE has exactly the same support as 98SE, or else NUSB wouldn't have needed to have two different versions for FE and SE. Either way, there are many other reasons to use 98SE instead of 98FE anyway, like somewhat better stability. As for people spreading unfounded rumors for decades, well it's not at all impossible.

Reply 23 of 23, by bf_bullpup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
boxpressed wrote on 2020-05-09, 02:43:

SB Live! cards are notorious for needing just the right driver. Some of the information on vogonsdrivers is misleading because just because a card model is listed in an INF file doesn't mean that that driver package will work.

I have a CT4780 and was able to install using this CD. I have uploaded the ISO to archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/sblive-1024

Thank you from me for this file! I had struggled with several incompatible drivers until this one.