VOGONS

First post, by koitsu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Roland just announced that they're FINALLY offering lifetime keys for some of the plugins in their cloud service. This includes SCVA, which now appears to be $69, down from $125 a month ago.

Their cloud support tells me that the only differences between the two versions is that activation and authentication are through their Cloud Manager app instead of the one-time auth that used to be used. And possibly "a few other minor changes related to UI smoothing."

I haven't installed Cloud Manager, but if it operates like Korg's new "Software Pass," it should be pretty innocuous.

That's all. Now back to kicking myself for buying SCVA a month too early...

Reply 2 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If there was a Linux version that could run on a Raspberry Pi, that would be fantastic . Maybe running it on a NUC could be an option . Does it require the ability to phone home periodically once activated ?

The reason I am asking is for potential use in a dedicated set-and-forget set-top box that you can plug into anything modern or retro through MIDI , like a physical sound canvas .

Reply 3 of 4, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2020-05-14, 02:07:

If there was a Linux version that could run on a Raspberry Pi, that would be fantastic . Maybe running it on a NUC could be an option . Does it require the ability to phone home periodically once activated ?

The non cloud version does not in my experience. I have it on a win7 box with no internet connection.

Reply 4 of 4, by koitsu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Same here. I've used it on High Sierra and win10 without an internet connection, and no issues. I didn't observe any differences in instantiation speed with/without internet either.

As far as Cloud, I'll probably start a trial this week because I'm really interested in seeing how the XV-5080 sounds. I've been searching for 5050/5080 hardware for a while now, but if that plugin is as close to the real deal as SCVA is to an 8820, I may well be down for another Roland plugin. Also interested in seeing if the 5080's GM bank can be accessed through MIDI Player or other hosts. I'll report back on what I find.

Oh, by the way--it looks like the traditional version of VA isn't available anymore; the "buy now" box on its product page has turned into a "join Roland Cloud" box...