VOGONS

First post, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK so I/m messing with some sound banks and found the one I want for my retro gaming system. problem is its 250mb. No a problem for a newer system, but I recall 98 had a hard limit on how big of a file you could put in ram. Obviously I would need to use a audigy as a live can't use a soundfount over 32mb.

Reply 1 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you should be fine. Only way to be sure is to try it out.

What if you use the Audigy drivers on a Live! ? Been quite a while since I have done that and I don't remember if the Audigy soundfont loader works with the Live! or not when using the Audigy drivers.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 3, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-05-15, 17:26:

I think you should be fine. Only way to be sure is to try it out.

What if you use the Audigy drivers on a Live! ? Been quite a while since I have done that and I don't remember if the Audigy soundfont loader works with the Live! or not when using the Audigy drivers.

I recall it being the same soundfont loader, but the live had a hard limit of 32mb if I recall. I do recall years ago nit being able to loud a bigger sound front in 9x. 2k/xp would work with bigger and vista+ work with any size. I looked into it years back and found something about there being a max file size windows could store in ram for a PCI card to use.

Reply 3 of 3, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure if it varies by model, but I was able to load a 50 MB sound font on my SBLive 5.1 (model SB0100).

To do that, you need to change a setting called sound fonts cache, not sure exactly where though. It defaults to something like 28 MB but it can go up to about half your RAM. I was also using WDM drivers at that time, in case it matters.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi