VOGONS

First post, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all. I have finished setting up this system and would like to play on it but this bug is too annoying to deal with.
System specs:
Jetway 994AN-L
Slot 1 p3 850mhz
Voodoo 3 3000
512mb ram
windows 98se
And the Awe32. From this post: Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

When playing midi or CD audio there is no problem. Only on sound files.
My motherboard does have a VIA chipset so I am concerned I am running into the same issue as this user: Sound Card or Motherboard

The only things I have tried so far with my limited knowledge of this tech is:
Different drivers (from vogons drivers instead of default win98)
Manually setting the IRQ and DMA that the card uses to "legacy ISA" in bios.

I have attached an example. The clicking fades away like an echo after making the sounds. In a game with many sounds the clicking is continuous.

Using the windows "ding" noise is the best way I can demonstrate it. The hissing is due to the aux cable passing audio to my main PC to record this sound.

Any advice or suggested settings to tinker with appreciated. I have quite a few other options but I enjoy the sound of this card.

Attachments

• IMG_3247.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3247.jpg
    File size
    1.13 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    clicking.mp3
    File size
    135.55 KiB
    Downloads
    32 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 2 of 5, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a well known clicking bug on some SB16s, but I thought the vibra had the ringing bug instead. Have you tried changing dma ports?

And that mobo has the wackiest ide port layout i have ever seen. Engineer was drunk perhaps.

Reply 3 of 5, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-17, 18:48:

There is a well known clicking bug on some SB16s, but I thought the vibra had the ringing bug instead. Have you tried changing dma ports?

And that mobo has the wackiest ide port layout i have ever seen. Engineer was drunk perhaps.

I have now fixed the AWE32 and I imagine the same will fix the Vibra although I wont be checking it.

I simply unticked the automatic configuration in the resources tab and set it manually. Works a treat now thankyou!

Twitter

Reply 4 of 5, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-05-17, 20:31:

I have now fixed the AWE32 and I imagine the same will fix the Vibra although I wont be checking it.

I simply unticked the automatic configuration in the resources tab and set it manually. Works a treat now thankyou!

Wait, you actually fixed it? How? What settings did you use? I'm asking because I have the same exact card (and issue!)

Reply 5 of 5, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TechieDude wrote on 2020-05-31, 00:46:
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-05-17, 20:31:

Wait, you actually fixed it? How? What settings did you use? I'm asking because I have the same exact card (and issue!)

Yes, it works perfectly now (I use this pc daily!)

In device manager open the soundcard and go to the resources tab. Untick automatic configuration and enter manually or choose a preset with the correct settings. Windows had set the DMA to 5 or 7 (I cant remember currently) and it needed swapping to the correct one.

Twitter