VOGONS

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another thread about late 90s hardware got me thinking about what the last ISA card was that was sold at retail (not a part of OEM builds). It seems like the it must have been in 1997. The Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA was released in late 1996, and the Ensoniq AudioPCI was released in 1997. I wonder if any ISA sound cards were still being stocked on store shelves as late as 1998 as new models?

Reply 2 of 12, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a retail Sound Blaster kit around 1999 or so from a big-box store. It was supposed to be a combo of a PnP Sound Blaster 16 ISA card, and a 48x IDE CD-ROM drive. Inside was a 52x CD-ROM drive and a note explaining that it was faster. I can't find any traces of this kit online from searching briefly. I'm also not sure how long it had been sitting in inventory at the time.

Reply 3 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-19, 01:05:

Turtle Beach Malibu 64?

I think this may be correct... or at least close. There was a 3-D audio comparison in the Feb 1999 issue of PC Mag that included that card.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 12, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After the big players leave the market, smaller companies scavange the remains. I think the latest retail ISA soundcard is a budget offering with eyecatching "3D" capability. Perhaps something like Aztech SC16-3D?

Reply 5 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have some noname OPTi and Avance Logic cards that were made in ~1999 according to some datecodes on the parts used on them (though actual sound chips have like 1996 or 7 date) and have stocking date stickers with 2001 on them from shop they were found in.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 12, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the replies. I found a round-up of PC sound hardware from the January 6, 1998 issue of PC Magazine. That means this issue was on newsstands in late 1997. The round-up reviews only four sound cards, but it includes both ISA and PCI cards, and an ISA card won the "Editor's Choice" award: the AWE64 Gold. The other ISA card was the Malibu, and the PCI cards were the Ensoniq AudioPCI and the Diamond Monster Sound.

Reply 7 of 12, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On the inexpensive side there where these budget cards which had good DOS compatibility.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 12, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-05-19, 03:01:

Turtle Beach Malibu 64?

I think this may be correct... or at least close. There was a 3-D audio comparison in the Feb 1999 issue of PC Mag that included that card.

Turtle Beach Malibu Surround 64 was released in late 1997.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 9 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote on 2020-05-19, 19:00:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-05-19, 03:01:

Turtle Beach Malibu 64?

Turtle Beach Malibu Surround 64 was released in late 1997.

Yeah... the OP's question wasn't super clear about whether or not it was the last card released or the last ISA card being sold in stores so I was just going by latest sold in stores that I could find.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 12, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was more interested in "big name" manufacturers that had flashy packaging in big box stores. I'm not saying that these are necessarily superior cards, only that I know that mom and pop stores sold "generic" ISA cards (albeit with good chipsets like YMF71x) well into the 2000s.

Reply 11 of 12, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Terratec EWS64S is another card that springs to mind. The v1.0 manual found here (http://terratec.ultron.info/Audio/EWS/64S/Man … S_Manual_GB.pdf) is dated March 1998.